Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrinceCreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2024
Italy
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra 2 (49mm) - 2024-05-31 at 19.03.27.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra 2 (49mm) - 2024-05-31 at 22.08.26.png

Hello, MacRumors community!

I'm Raffaele, developer of Arcadia, and I'm excited to introduce ArcEmu: a Game Boy (Color) and Game Boy Advance emulator for Apple Watch, iPhone and iPad.

The emulation cores used are:

- SameBoy (Game Boy and Game Boy Color)

- mGBA (Game Boy Advance)

I worked hard to make games playable on such a small screen.

The arrows are arranged in an inverted T shape to take up as little space as possible.

There is also a hold/sustain feature for the A and B buttons (it works a bit like voice messages on Telegram).

The resolution for Game Boy (Color) games is 2x the original on all Apple Watches.

For Game Boy Advance games, the resolution depends on the screen width. Since the resolution isn't precise and images appeared blurry, I created an anti-aliasing shader.

Save states are shareable between iPhone and Apple Watch so you can continue your game from any device. Saves are automatically shared via Bluetooth.

On iPhone, there is support for Rumble, Gyroscope, and Accelerometer.

On Apple Watch, the gyroscope is "emulated" via the Digital Crown (which works surprisingly well), while the accelerometer is supported.

In terms of performance, most games should run smoothly at 60 fps on all compatible Apple Watches. However, you can set the fps cap to 30 to save battery.

Additionally, the emulator skips identical frames.

Loading ROMs is very simple. From the iPhone app, press the (+) button at the top right and select the ROM from the Files app.

The transfer to the Apple Watch will also start automatically via Bluetooth.

You can also do this manually by pressing the three dots (...) next to the ROM name in the list.
ArcEmu also supports ROMs in .zip format.

In this case, it will automatically decompress and import the ROMs present in the archive.

You can download ArcEmu from the App Store.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts and suggestions.
Your feedback is invaluable and will help shape the future updates of ArcEmu.

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Got it but still have to try it on the watch. I tried it on the phone and liked it. Problem on the watch is I’m wearing it on the right and I’m right handed, I had small band issues on the skin on the left.

PrinceCreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2024
Italy
Version 1.4 is out!

- Added support for Apple Watch Series 3, iPhone 6S and 7
- Added mappings for the Digital Crown (Arrows, A/B, Select/Start, L/R)
- Implemented the feature that hides touch controls when a Controller is connected

- Fixed a bug that made touches near the edges not always accurate on Apple Watch
- Fixed the L and R buttons on Controllers (iPhone and iPad)

Melchiahdim

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2024
Is there any chance of being able to add roms to Apple Watch without iPhone? My son doesn’t have a phone but does have a cellular Apple Watch.

PrinceCreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2024
Italy
Hello, I'm currently using the WatchConnectivity API to send ROMs to the Watch. Unfortunately, this API is not compatible with Family Setup. I honestly don't know if there's another feasible way, maybe something involving Core Data/CloudKit? I have no idea; I'll have to investigate...

PrinceCreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2024
Italy
iphone-7.png

I have just released the 1.5 update of ArcEmu, the emulator for Apple Watch!

I hope you enjoy the new update and I apologize for having to change the core. It was necessary to ensure adequate performance given the new Fast Forward feature.
I have worked a lot on the performance and it should be much faster and lighter than the previous version.

Please let me know if everything works or if there are any issues.
Thank you very much for your support!

What's new:

** This update is not compatible with existing GB and GBC (SameBoy) save states.
To avoid losing progress, please save normally in-game before updating. **

- Core change for GB and GBC games (SameBoy -> mGBA)
- Exceptional performance and battery consumption improvements
- Fast-Forward feature (2x and 3x) to speed up the game
- Slow-mo feature (0.5x) to slow down the game
- Save file import feature (.sav)
- Color Palette modification feature for GB games
- New in-game menu with many features easily accessible without returning to the main menu (Save, Load, Reset, Volume, Vibration, Hold/Sustain, Fast Forward, Crown Mapping, D-Pad ways)
- Autosaving when the screen goes to sleep, the app goes to the background, and when returning to the menu
- Modified Hold/Sustain button function, now activatable on all buttons from the new in-game menu
- Minor bug fixes

ManuMtz

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2016
Great app!

On the Apple Watch, if I don’t touch the screen for a few seconds, it pauses. Is there a way to prevent it from pausing?

The time at the top right covers some text (it’s Apple’s fault), but is there any way to rearrange the controls or something optional to prevent it from covering the text?

Do you plan to add NES and SNES?

PrinceCreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2024
Italy
Great app!

On the Apple Watch, if I don’t touch the screen for a few seconds, it pauses. Is there a way to prevent it from pausing?

The time at the top right covers some text (it’s Apple’s fault), but is there any way to rearrange the controls or something optional to prevent it from covering the text?

Do you plan to add NES and SNES?
Thank you so much!

To increase the screen timeout of the Apple Watch, go to settings, tap Display & Brightness, tap Wake Duration, and set it to 70 seconds.

Yes, unfortunately, the time in the top right corner isn’t under my control. At the moment, it’s not possible to move the controls on the Watch, sorry.

New cores like NES or SNES could arrive in the future. However, right now I’m working on improving what I already have, specifically, I’m working on adding Link Cable support for multiplayer games!

Reactions: ManuMtz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.