Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
The 8TB HGST drives do not show in system after a restart. This might be especially bad for RAID. They do show on cold start. Be aware of this ahead of time.

Also worth mentioning, my 8TB HGST was showing abormal wear with the pin tape fix. Was getting extremely hot and wouldn’t manage power properly. Moved the drive to external enclosure and all was fine, but it does report in DriveDx as less healthy than other (much older) drives.

Reactions: devynbrew

devynbrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
The 8TB HGST drives do not show in system after a restart. This might be especially bad for RAID. They do show on cold start. Be aware of this ahead of time.

Also worth mentioning, my 8TB HGST was showing abormal wear with the pin tape fix. Was getting extremely hot and wouldn’t manage power properly. Moved the drive to external enclosure and all was fine, but it does report in DriveDx as less healthy than other (much older) drives.

Thanks for your advice.

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile
I need to make some more room for video editing projects, and was considering purchasing HGST 8TB or Seagate 8TB NAS drives (e.g. https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822146142&ignorebbr=1)

I've heard that these should work best for RAID systems — wondering if they work in the old 2010...

Thanks for you help!

There are drives that implement a new feature called Power Disable. It seems that older enclosures do not support this and there are problems making the drives work. I do not have a Mac Pro, but my guess is that it does not support this feature. You may want to check or ask HGST if the drive you will buy implements this or not.

Regarding HGST, I have six drives and have worked for 6 years in a NAS. I just bought two HGST He10 10TB drives without the Power Disable feature for a case that does not support it and I expect to have no trouble with them.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
If it helps, I have used 4TB WD Red NAS drives in different RAID configs in my Mac Pro (RAID 0/RAID 5) with great success in the past.

Currently using 4x6TB WD Blacks in RAID with no issue as well.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Generally speaking, 4TB drives seem to "work better" in MacPro without the reboot issue than 8TB drives and some 6TB drives.

You might find this thread helpful:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...t-mount-after-restart-in-mac-pro-5-1.2112701/

Also worth mentioning that some of the newer higher capacity 8TB drives have different screw patterns and you may need a different sled adapter. The only one that I'm aware of is this: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MPRODBKTLG6/
My 6TB WD uses the new screw layout too

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
Yes, this is a good point I forgot to mention. I have the sled adapters from OWC that support the mounting layout of these larger capacity drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.