Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I have a Sans Digital eSATA enclosure connected to one (home) of my Mac Pro 5,1 computers. It came with an eSATA PCIe card which I installed in one of the PCI slots and the unit has worked fine for the last several OS upgrades I made on that machine, starting with 10.6.8 and up to OS 10.8.5. I would like to equip my office Mac with USB 3 and eSATA and note that there is a combo card with 2 USB 3 connections and an eSATA connection available at OWC. I'm wondering if the eSATA on this card would just be compatible with my Sans Digital enclosure or would the enclosure likely require the proprietary Sans Digital card and driver. Since the OWC card offering has eSATA on the same card as USB 3 and does not mention specific hardware that would be compatible I'm thinking any eSATA card should work, or in other words, that any eSATA card should work with any eSATA device. Correct?

Last edited:

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I'm thinking any eSATA card should work, or in other words, that any eSATA card should work with any eSATA device. Correct?

Yes. I owned a Sans Digital drive enclosure a few years ago and was using it with a Newer Technology eSATA card without any problems whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.