Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
I am currently using Malwarebytes and the price for a subscription isn't too bad.

But obviously, any price is too much if the app can't actually do anything about the worst malware out there. And another question is if I am even in danger, considering that I'm just using this Mac privately, as a civillian, not as a business or any kind of person of interest.

However, I do run a semi-successful social media profile that makes money and I worry about getting "hacked" and taken hostage, especially since it's taken years to get it going. With that in mind, all the security measures related to password protection are on for the account. So I'm assuming the account is as safe as it can be?

I've moved all my passwords into Apple's new 2-factor authentication service that was introduced in Monterey(or earlier, I don't recall?), and the passwords that can't make use of this are in general either 2-factor or unique and very complex.

Do Mac owners need malware protection these days? And if so, what is the best app or general practices to avoid risks?

The Mac(s) in question are all M1 Macs on the latest version of Monterey. I don't know if that makes any difference.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
no harm in running malwarebytes. but this is a macrumors forum, and here's what's going to happen: those who use such apps will swear by them, and those that don't will insist you don't need it. so really, there isn't one answer, and in some sense, everyone will be correct.

look thru the answers that crop here, decide what seems best to you. just a humble suggestion...

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I would turn it on its head and ask "What do you think?" instead of giving an answer, but obviously you shouldn't use Malware Bytes or any malware scanner on macOS today unless you find that you have to.

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
I personally have never ran anti-virus or malware scanners on any of my machines.

I think it boils down to the individual and how your Mac is utilized.

Are you the only one that uses it or do multiple people use the same machine?
Are you a "clicker", that clicks before they read what they are clicking on to determine if it's safe?
Do you surf a lot of "questionable" areas of the web?

There is definitely malware for Macs out there in the wild. Even being super careful, there is not a 100% guarantee you won't encounter it. It can lend some peace of mind, but in the end the effectiveness of such software is only as good as the developer distributing it and if the scanner can catch the particular form of malware that threatens you.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Alright.

I can't seem to get any compelling answers to this question I'll just keep malware bytes installed and not think about it again.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Alright.

I can't seem to get any compelling answers to this question I'll just keep malware bytes installed and not think about it again.
Is cyber theft a multi-billion dollar problem? YES
Are Macintoshes susceptible to malware, phishing attacks, and viruses? YES
Do you have data on your Mac which is valuable to you, which you don’t want hackers to obtain?

If your answer to #3 is YES, then you need protection.
If your answer is NO, then you probably aren’t thinking clearly about the vulnerabilities.

Protection begins with using robust passwords and implementing disk encryption. Cause virus protection is useless if the password to your Wells Fargo is “Password”. Implement a password manager such as 1Password or the Safari password manager. Then, educate yourself about phishing emails. Then, install malware protection.

I’m not financially interested in any of these products, I just think that’s the most straightforward answer there is.

theoak2

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2017
I am an "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" personality type. So my viewpoint (take it with a grain of salt) is: if the value of your income from your social media thing is significantly more than the cost of the extra protection, then do it!

If you are responsible for the personal data of others, then do it!

It may be unnecessary, but the cost of regret may tip the scale in the value of a possibly superfluous expense. Personally, I don't use any protection on my MacBook, but I don't have anything on the MacBook that I don't have backed up or anything of any true financial or personal value. My music, documents, and pictures are on multiple backups.

Also consider the risk of websites that do NOT infect your computer, but may trick you into clicking on that "iffy" link.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
I am an "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" personality type. So my viewpoint (take it with a grain of salt) is: if the value of your income from your social media thing is significantly more than the cost of the extra protection, then do it!

If you are responsible for the personal data of others, then do it!

It may be unnecessary, but the cost of regret may tip the scale in the value of a possibly superfluous expense. Personally, I don't use any protection on my MacBook, but I don't have anything on the MacBook that I don't have backed up or anything of any true financial or personal value. My music, documents, and pictures are on multiple backups.

Also consider the risk of websites that do NOT infect your computer, but may trick you into clicking on that "iffy" link.
It may be unnecessary in the sense that locking your house and your car may be unnecessary. Cause maybe nobody’s going to try to break in or maybe they’ll break a window or use a tow truck. I’m not trying to be a wise guy; I mean this seriously. I’m not ultra paranoid but I think some ordinary protection measures, especially complex passwords like durbnw5[#]*bsn38:;$ are sensible and necessary measures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.