Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
Hi,

I'm wondering will the lens hood used under certain circumstances will affect the images on the down side. I know that the lens hood is good for sunlight and other bright light interference situations...

Although I usually shoot outdoors with the hood attached, but do you use it for controlled photography such as a photo shoot?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi,

I'm wondering will the lens hood used under certain circumstances will affect the images on the down side. I know that the lens hood is good for sunlight and other bright light interference situations...

Although I usually shoot outdoors with the hood attached, but do you use it for controlled photography such as a photo shoot?

In studio photography I gone one step farther and use a bellows type lens shade. These gadets have a rectangle opening on the front and you can move the opening back an forth (these are called "compendium" shades) and then you also have "bard doors" on the light so you can keep the light off the camera that way too. Bottom line is that when you have time you can do even more then using a simple hood if you want

Here is a great picture that shows a progression for more and more effective shades. If you are working off a tripod indoors tha last one is best but if working hand held it adds maybe to much bulk and weight
http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/v-system/lens-shades.aspx

That said, this was a more importent subject back before modern multi-coated lenses. newer lenses don't flair as much

Google found this:
http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/lenshood.html

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Hi,

As far as I've experienced, the only downside to a lens hood is the possibility of vignetting, this is minimized with a petal shaped hood rather than a cone shaped one. But even with a petal shaped hood there's certain lenses which will still get some vignetting (outside the normal vignetting which may be present and a property of the lens itself.).

SLC

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
If you are using the recommended lens hood (made by the camera or lens manufacturer) everything should be fine, unless the camera instruction book warns against using it with the cameras built in flash.

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
Using the proper hood will not effect your picture, but be warned that some are quite big and could cast shadows. (Also make sure its black or you will get colour casting in your picture)

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Absolutely - shadows are a huge problem with hoods when using flash. Just yesterday I decided to try out the built-in flash on my new Nikon D300 - and immediately saw huge shadows from the hood of my 18-200 VR lens. That's even though on the D300 the flash is a pop up on top of the body - it still does not clear the hood. Under those circumstances, in a studio, you may not wish to use a hood at all - instead, use baffles and lighting to avoid problems... much better than a hood anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.