Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Hello!
I can't find any USB-C to SATA 3.5" cable that support Power Delivery (can power the 3.5" hard drives without the need for an external power supply).

Did anyone find one?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't think you will find such a thing. All the USB-A to 3.5" SATA cables I ever saw had an external power source to provide enough power for the 3.5 drive. I think USB-c is going to be the same situation.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
It is technically possible as a 3.5" HDD will require 12V @ around 30W, but while USB C Power Delivery full profile support is on the Macbook for power the laptop itself, it isn't clear how much of USB C Power Delivery is supported bus powering other devices. That would also spread to other USB C enabled laptops.

Since enclosures and cables aren't selling for top dollar like they used to I'd imagine there just isn't room in the market for a "premium" USB 3.5" HDD enclosure or cable so manufacturers are waiting for USB C power delivery profiles for bus powering being a bit more universal and/or clearly explained to users.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I think you're going to need a USB3/SATA docking station that has its own power source...

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
It is technically possible as a 3.5" HDD will require 12V @ around 30W, but while USB C Power Delivery full profile support is on the Macbook for power the laptop itself, it isn't clear how much of USB C Power Delivery is supported bus powering other devices. That would also spread to other USB C enabled laptops.

Since enclosures and cables aren't selling for top dollar like they used to I'd imagine there just isn't room in the market for a "premium" USB 3.5" HDD enclosure or cable so manufacturers are waiting for USB C power delivery profiles for bus powering being a bit more universal and/or clearly explained to users.

Ugh I'd kill for one

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
This Plugable upright docking station offers a USB-C connection. I can take 3.5" and 2.5" drives (including SSDs), and has its own power supply, which, as has been mentioned above, is necessary to power 3.5" drives. It comes with a USB-C -> USB-C cable and a USB-C -> USB-A cable. I've been using an older Plugable (USB 3.0) flat docking station, but I will be replacing it with this one now that I have USB-C ports available. The price is right and I've always had perfect performance from the older one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E80N2E...olid=35D4R7WH5GGFL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.