Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I posted these image on the photo of the day thread, however, it seems to me like the images are a bit over sharpened.What do you all think?

2231539655_dc77e08638_o.jpg

2226982765_77e717e39f_o.jpg

the images didnt look over sharpened in the original size, however, when i down sized them i used an option on photoshop called "bicubic sharper" which is recommended when reducing the image size. Please tell me what you think because I would like to make them better if they need to be.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I think some people would maybe say that the bottom one is oversharpened, but I don't think so.

I think they are both absolutely stunning and I wouldn't change them.

In addition, (and sorry if you already know this), unless you have uncompressed RAW versions, you will only lose more quality be editing a jpeg over and over.

But, seriously, I love them both.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'd say yes to both, for very specific issues. On the first one, the place where the oversharpening is most visible is in the foliage of the trees. The leaves look unnatural because they're been sharpened too much. For the second one, where you run into trouble is around the bodies of the children -- you can see a distortion "wave" wrapping around the children on the left, in particular.

(They're excellent shots ... I like them both a lot.)

leumluath

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
I'd say yes, but it's an effect... a "look." It combines well with the very saturated colors. The colors aren't realistic, and neither is the sharpening, but they work well together on two very nice photos.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Yes, but.

The but is in reference to the second image. I think the over sharpening on the second provides a good effect, I think it looks good.

The same could be true for the first depending on the look you are going for.

In other words, you haven't ruined the images with over sharpening, IMO. It comes down to what you want to get out of the images.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Depends what you are going for. If for realism, then yes, but I think it looks good, especially the first one. It's very stylised. It almost doesn't look real, like a CG rendered scene or something. Very cool.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Depends what you are going for. If for realism, then yes, but I think it looks good, especially the first one. It's very stylised. It almost doesn't look real, like a CG rendered scene or something. Very cool.

im trying to keep the images sharpness equal to the original size

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
The top one seems a bit over sharpened on the leaves. The bottom seems a little oversaturated.
Thanks Martin

I purposely saturate the colors that way in order to give the photo an unrealistic effect.

Anyways, here is the 1st photo once again reduced from 3758x2532 to 900x678 using Bicubic Sharper on photoshop CS3

2231539655_dc77e08638_o.jpg

And here is the same photo reduced from 3758x2532 to 900x678 using the standard Bicubic option on photoshop CS3

2233143579_fc36992ffc_o.jpg

Give me your opinions on which is better

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Resize first and then sharpen.

Yes - you should apply output sharpening right at the end after processing and resizing - though you may have previously applied some minimal input sharpening to the original image and then maybe some selective/creative sharpening while editing.

Your output sharpening settings will be different for low resolution web images than you'd use for prints.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I feel that the top one may need a little bit, but the bottom one is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.