Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question but I didn't know if unlocked iPhones are easier or harder to preorder. I would think that the majority of people use the upgrade programs (either through their carrier or Apple) but then I would also think Apple would just stocked more of those carrier locked phones. Does anyone know from experience if it will be harder to find an unlocked iPhone? I plan on preordering the X the minute it becomes available but that didn't help me at all when ordering my 7 Plus through At&t last year. Thanks so much :)

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
You won't be able get an unlocked phone for some period (know only to apple) after it's release. Only post paid carrier phones are available at launch. (in US anyway).

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
You won't be able get an unlocked phone for some period (know only to apple) after it's release. Only post paid carrier phones are available at launch. (in US anyway).

Although this has been true for previous releases, the sim-free iPhone 8/8+ were available for pre-order. There were also less of these available and ship times slipped for this option.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Sim free 8/8+ has show availability all along. It also is not Apple's flagship iphone. That is the X. The X shows no/zilch/nada/nope/none/bubkus availability of the unlocked X at launch.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2013
I've always been able to order a factory unlocked phone via Apple at launch, either in the UK or Australia.

Is that not a thing in the US?
Usually not at launch. However, with the 8, the option was present. It might also be an indication that it will be available for the X

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
So does anyone have any suggestions on how to get an unlocked one? I know the CDMA phones can be used among all the carriers. Is there a way to get one of those phones without having to put in your phone information?

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
So does anyone have any suggestions on how to get an unlocked one? I know the CDMA phones can be used among all the carriers. Is there a way to get one of those phones without having to put in your phone information?

Previously, you could buy the T-Mobile version from the Apple Store (full price) and you wouldn't have to provide carrier info. But, it would be a GSM-only phone. For the iPhone 7 release, I purchased the AT&T version full price off the Apple Store and provided my AT&T number, but it was unlocked...again for GSM.

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Previously, you could buy the T-Mobile version from the Apple Store (full price) and you wouldn't have to provide carrier info. But, it would be a GSM-only phone. For the iPhone 7 release, I purchased the AT&T version full price off the Apple Store and provided my AT&T number, but it was unlocked...again for GSM.
Ok thanks for the help. Hopefully there'll be an option for sim-free

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Any Verizon phone that is paid for in full is unlocked.
I thought about that too but I don't have service with Verizon and the account information is required to purchase a Verizon phone. Thanks, though

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
I thought about that too but I don't have service with Verizon and the account information is required to purchase a Verizon phone. Thanks, though

Many if not all LTE providers are like that. FCC made it mandatory a few years ago. Ask your provider

Jaypatel3192

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014

Would you recommend going with the ATT option at launch? I too have an ATT account looking for a GSM unlocked phone as I travel abroad, and it might be easier to grab since you need to have an account to purchase it?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Any Verizon phone that is paid for in full is unlocked.

Unfortunately online this year makes you enter carrier info for a paid in full Verizon phone. Hopefully SIM free is an option.

T-mobile also lets you pay in full without carrier info.

If you buy in store you can get any phone without carrier info if paying in full.

If there is no SIM free, t-mobile is the only one that people can pay in full without carrier info for online purchases. It works with AT&T.

This is all based on the 8/8plus

Reactions: Newbie67

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Unfortunately online this year makes you enter carrier info for a paid in full Verizon phone. Hopefully SIM free is an option.

T-mobile also lets you pay in full without carrier info.

If you buy in store you can get any phone without carrier info if paying in full.

If there is no SIM free, t-mobile is the only one that people can pay in full without carrier info for online purchases. It works with AT&T.

This is all based on the 8/8plus

More crap to sell those inferior Intel modems. Way to stick it to Qualcomm by screwing the consumers!

JulienWA77

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
Tumwater, WA
Question

I just signed up for Verizon this week. I signed up under the Single Line 5GB option since it's only a bit more expensive than my current GoPhone 40.00/month plan. I used my work phone's IMEI to get past their BYOD sign-up page since I just wanted a SIM card.

I also signed up because I've gotten a bit annoyed with only ever being able to buy the T-Mobile version of iPhone on launch day and want more freedom with carrier options.

Anywho. I guess now i'm a "Postpaid" customer on Verizon. (It's been nearly 7 years since I've ever been postpaid on anyone.

If i go to buy the Verizon iPhone X on launch night with the "pay in full" option--i know it's going to ask for my phone number and account info..etc. Is it just doing this to make sure I have an actual account or is if checking some sort of upgrade eligibility? I ask because the whole pay-in-full option would at least (in my mind) negate any reason TO check for upgrade eligibility. Thoughts?

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA
I've always been able to order a factory unlocked phone via Apple at launch, either in the UK or Australia.

Is that not a thing in the US?

No, we are a corporate wasteland. :)
The carriers want first dibs on the newest technology for their customers.

JulienWA77

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
Tumwater, WA
I did find it rather telling that 1) Pre-orders for the 8/8+ were not sold out by the middle of the second day, 2)You could finally order a SIM free version of the 8 series on day 1 in the US (that's never happened) and 3)You can't order SIM-free models of X on day 1 and 4)Once again, the X is split into GSM and CDMA models instead of being "universal".

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
If i go to buy the Verizon iPhone X on launch night with the "pay in full" option--i know it's going to ask for my phone number and account info..etc. Is it just doing this to make sure I have an actual account or is if checking some sort of upgrade eligibility? I ask because the whole pay-in-full option would at least (in my mind) negate any reason TO check for upgrade eligibility. Thoughts?

Pay in full does not negate checking upgrade eligibility. They still want you as a customer! They want to upgrade the line you gave them. That's the only way to buy it. They will not sell the phone unless you are upgrading a line. AT&T is the same way. They will insist you upgrade a line. No way around it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.