Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Ok, this was a weird day. Yesterday we (wife and I) had a going at shooting our kids outside in the snow. A guy comes up and starts asking about my camera (5Dmk2). Everything is swell and we talk for quite a while and exchange phone numbers as he is also a hobby photographer living in my area and he is wanting to upgrade to full frame soon.
Today I receive a phone call from the same guy asking to buy my camera for a little more than what you can get it online new for, but he said he would need it tomorrow. Well after some more bartering we agreed on a final price which is very much in my favor.

However now I have a problem. I have 2 good (I consider them good) lenses, the 100mm macro and the 17-40L. I do like the 5d mk2 but I am pretty sure I am NOT using it to its full potential (I didn't buy it, I won it).
The question is should I get another 5dmk2 or a 7D and some extra lens? I could really use a good zoom lens but i would use it rarely. I shoot landscapes and portrait mostly.

I know there are 120942814034812 threads on this topic but some small input would be appreciated.. :)

//f

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I have both cameras, and judging from what you've just said, I'd recommend the 7D and a new lens. If you'll really miss the wide angle that your 17-40 gives you on the 5D Mark II, then get an EF-S 10-22mm for the 7D.

That said, it's bizarre that someone would pay almost a new price for a used camera. Why doesn't he just buy a new one?

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I have both cameras, and judging from what you've just said, I'd recommend the 7D and a new lens. If you'll really miss the wide angle that your 17-40 gives you on the 5D Mark II, then get an EF-S 10-22mm for the 7D.

That said, it's bizarre that someone would pay almost a new price for a used camera. Why doesn't he just buy a new one?

I agree with Phrasikleia completely. But seriously, be careful. That sounds so weird and out of place.

Make sure you're paid in cash; or if by personal check, go his bank and get the money there. I'd avoid cashier's checks. See below:

The most common cashier’s check fraud has the same ingredients. A buyer wants to purchase a product and will use a cashier’s check. For whatever reason, the buyer has a check made out for an amount in excess of the purchase price.
http://banking.about.com/od/securityandsafety/a/cashierscheckfd.htm

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Actually it is bizzare until you know some more information.

Ok I live in a country with huge VAT but within the EU. Within the EU you can buy from any other country and NOT having to pay VAT in your own. Now Most "cheap" store only ship to the same country and this is the case with this store that I am buying from. But my cousin lives in said country (germany) and hance will forward it to me, so I save roughly about 200 euros. Now for the price that he is paying (in cash btw.) he is getting a SLIGHTLY better deal than a local camera shop for a camera that has very few shots and still over 11 months warranty. I on the other hand make 200 euros :D

So its not THAT bizzare.
About the 7D. Since you have both bodies. How is the weather sealing? We have pretty cold here and how is real life ISO performance? I like to shoot without flash in low light. with real life I mean in action and not test charts. is 3200 usable like with the 5D?

//F

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
About the 7D. Since you have both bodies. How is the weather sealing? We have pretty cold here and how is real life ISO performance? I like to shoot without flash in low light. with real life I mean in action and not test charts. is 3200 usable like with the 5D?

//F

See this thread for a shot of my 7D all wet on a snowy evening. That was early on; later in the evening, the camera had much bigger droplets on the two LCDs and a frozen white layer over almost everything else. I kept having to wipe water droplets off of the two LCDs to see what i was doing.

Yes, ISO 3200 is very usable on the 7D, but not as good as what you get with the 5D Mark II. It's a bit softer and less punchy, but the noise cleans up nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.