Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Not going to follow a clickbait link, but for those that already know, ARMv9 is largely a marketing exercise. It has a few optional features and is largely built for security. It's not a revolutionary update.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Not going to follow a clickbait link, but for those that already know, ARMv9 is largely a marketing exercise. It has a few optional features and is largely built for security. It's not a revolutionary update.
I'd argue that SVE 2 is a fantastic improvement. Standardising the extensions that were added to ARMv8 over the years is also a good thing, like the crypto extensions (yes, goes into security, but still a good improvement, and I think you were thinking about memory tagging when you wrote your post).

I wouldn't call ARMv9 itself a marketing exercise. But people on YouTube making conclusions about Apple's upcoming architectures based on ARMv9 is silly. The reasoning is all flawed. If they've seen percentage based performance improvement metrics, those numbers are for ARM's Cortex designs. ARMv9 itself is an instruction set expansion and aside from specifying that future Apple Silicon chips can be expected to have wider vector hardware (unless it already has this and only exposes it through Apple proprietary ISA extensions, I haven't looked into that), it doesn't tell us anything about Apple's future implementation of the ISA. ARMv9 is awesome, it's a good step forward by ARM. Like really, SVE2 is just super cool, and the memory tagging feature seems like a good idea. But you can't extrapolate Apple Silicon performance or efficiency based on it. Those things are orthogonal

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Like really, SVE2 is just super cool, and the memory tagging feature seems like a good idea. But you can't extrapolate Apple Silicon performance or efficiency based on it. Those things are orthogonal

And the funny thing is that SVE and tagged pointers are optional features in v8. Apple already supports the later by the way.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
And the funny thing is that SVE and tagged pointers are optional features in v8. Apple already supports the later by the way.
Didn't know they were optional in v8. Sure it's the same SVE? My Googling calls the ARMv8 one SVE and the ARMv9 one SVE 2, but it looks like they both go to 2048-bits of width, so I dunno what (if any other than name and ISA standardisation) difference there is.

Regardless though, even if everything v9 provides is standardisation of the extensions present in v8, that's a good thing. And SVE(2) is a huge step up from NEON

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
The hosts for Max Tech do this thing that a lot of other tech YouTubers do when they talk, where it sounds like their laughing or giggling with enthusiasm but it feels forced. They do it like every 5 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Didn't know they were optional in v8. Sure it's the same SVE? My Googling calls the ARMv8 one SVE and the ARMv9 one SVE 2, but it looks like they both go to 2048-bits of width, so I dunno what (if any other than name and ISA standardisation) difference there is.

SVE2 (released early 2019) is an extension to the original SVE (2017) and both are optional in ARMv8. It's just that only a handful of custom HPC designs implements SVE and I don't think there is any SVE2 implementation in the wild.

Regardless though, even if everything v9 provides is standardisation of the extensions present in v8, that's a good thing. And SVE(2) is a huge step up from NEON

No argument here.

Max Tech = clickbait revenue artist. Not interested in clickbait for rumor addicts.

Max Tech offers this combination of interesting/relevant experiments and complete misinformation. He is a charismatic guy and I am sure he means well, but the lack of technical skill and shallowness of his research really brings down the quality of the channel.

Reactions: Significant1

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
SVE2 (released early 2019) is an extension to the original SVE (2017) and both are optional in ARMv8. It's just that only a handful of custom HPC designs implements SVE and I don't think there is any SVE2 implementation in the wild.
I see. Thank you, my Google-foo failed me on that one and I could only find references to SVE2 in ARMv9 contexts before.
Max Tech offers this combination of interesting/relevant experiments and complete misinformation. He is a charismatic guy and I am sure he means well, but the lack of technical skill and shallowness of his research really brings down the quality of the channel.
Agree. Max himself used to be a camera-focused YouTuber. Did reviews and comparisons of cameras way before he got into general tech. Photography and videography tips and such. Used to make the majority of his income through photography and videography with a little YouTube side gig. Then one day he did a comparison of his new something or other Mac and it got way way more views than anything else. Repeated the experiment with the same results and in the end you can understand why he pivoted the channel towards tech and started Max Tech; It just made financial sense, even though it was outside his treehouse so to speak

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.