Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hi. My go to app is sketch pro on windows. It is hugely better than the mobile version. The feature
I miss most is the ability to make a lasso selection, and then scale and rotate it. SBP ios has a limited
version of this tool, but it can only transform--not scale and rotate. This feature is super useful for
laying out poses.

I have watched several Procreate videos, but it seems to have the same limitation.

Any ideas about other apps greatly appreciated. I would like to buy the next ipad 12.9--but i
can't really work without this feature. Thanks!

ps: i am concerned autodesk might abandon sketchbook pro now that they have made it free:
that would be a disaster!

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
I use SketchClub on the iPad a lot
Since last April, I over draw imported pencil drawing and make full color cartoons and export them via airdrop
If that helps

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Hi. My go to app is sketch pro on windows. It is hugely better than the mobile version. The feature
I miss most is the ability to make a lasso selection, and then scale and rotate it. SBP ios has a limited
version of this tool, but it can only transform--not scale and rotate. This feature is super useful for
laying out poses.

I have watched several Procreate videos, but it seems to have the same limitation.

Any ideas about other apps greatly appreciated. I would like to buy the next ipad 12.9--but i

ps: i am concerned autodesk might abandon sketchbook pro now that they have made it free:

Tayasui Sketches Pro by Tayasui.com https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tayasui-sketches-pro/id671867510?mt=8

Reactions: orbital~debris

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
laying out poses.

Sketchbook Pro? I think that’s now called Sketchbook, and it most definitely does let you use two fingers to rotate and scale the part of the image you lassoed.

The same with Procreate. Use two fingers to rotate and scale.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Sketchbook Pro? I think that’s now called Sketchbook, and it most definitely does let you use two fingers to rotate and scale the part of the image you lassoed.

The same with Procreate. Use two fingers to rotate and scale.
Bingo! Thank you so much!

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010

Thanks. invested more time with sketchbook ios: it is really awesome. Finally got the
sketchbook icloud folder to work: very easy transfer from ipad to windows! Found the
dropbox workflow cumbersome

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Thanks. invested more time with sketchbook ios: it is really awesome. Finally got the
sketchbook icloud folder to work: very easy transfer from ipad to windows! Found the
dropbox workflow cumbersome

For whatever reason, it’s often more efficient to use Dropbox via the ‘Files’ app, rather than using Dropbox directly. For example, in Procreate, you can only export one file at a time to Dropbox. But if you export using ‘Save to Files’ you can export multiple pictures and select your Dropbox account in the ‘Files’ dialog.

Sketchbook is similar. In the gallery, if you select multiple files, the share to Dropbox icon doesn’t show up, but it does if you select only one file. Again, going via Files, works better.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
For whatever reason, it’s often more efficient to use Dropbox via the ‘Files’ app, rather than using Dropbox directly. For example, in Procreate, you can only export one file at a time to Dropbox. But if you export using ‘Save to Files’ you can export multiple pictures and select your Dropbox account in the ‘Files’ dialog.

Sketchbook is similar. In the gallery, if you select multiple files, the share to Dropbox icon doesn’t show up, but it does if you select only one file. Again, going via Files, works better.
Good point: encouraged me to look at Files. Note if you have the Sketchbook folder on icloud--that folder is the same as sketchbook gallery! Unfortunately, I can't remember how I set that up. It was not working earlier in the year and I was pleasantly surprised to see it working when I opened iCloud a couple of weeks ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.