Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The topic for June 2007 is Steps. The runner-up, "The Sky", will automatically go back into next month's topic voting.

I stopped voting 1 hour before it officially ends because I'm tired. :eek: Also, I really should have mentioned that I based the times on the date and time in my timezone (in Australia), while things like polls used to end in UK time because Applespider was from the UK.

The idea is that members go out and try to shoot something relevant to the topic until the end of this month. What is "relevant" is up for interpretation by you and by us, of course.

You must have taken the picture yourself between June 8th to 30th, 2006 in your respective timezones (we'll use the honour system for this one). If you took a picture that fits the assignment topic, but was taken earlier before June 8th 2007, then post it in the GALLERY THREAD.

Anyone can enter. Doesn't matter if the photo was taken with a camera-phone, small point and shoot camera, or DSLR. They should be photos you think are GOOD rather than just snapshots. Don't just post anything that fits the topic. That isn't the point. Sometimes, it's easy to take a photo of something that fits the topic, but to take a decent photo is a different thing altogether. Post something you can be proud of. :)

If you have never done this before: READ THE RULES BEFORE YOU POST. The rules are rather basic, and a lot of it is common sense, but since we're self-moderated, we don't expect any bone-heads breaking all the rules just because they think they're an exception. Doesn't matter how good your photography is. ;)

Happy shooting.

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Sounds great!

*just spilled coke over my desk - not great

I have a shot in mind but its more of a stair case than steps, would this be eligable as it would be looking up at a stair case (no steps in sight but obvious stair case) or does it have to be directly of steps?

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Sounds great!

*just spilled coke over my desk - not great

I have a shot in mind but its more of a stair case than steps, would this be eligable as it would be looking up at a stair case (no steps in sight but obvious stair case) or does it have to be directly of steps?

call it invisible steps ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Not sure about the others, but I think that's ok. :)

In many places, you can say "steps" to refer to a staircase, just like you would say "stairs" to refer to a staircase.

example: "To get to the bathroom, go up the steps and turn right."

I guess it could be interpreted as stairs. Also, I just realized that this is how I've interpreted it, if you look at the photo I posted in the gallery. :eek:

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
Lets see someone come up with this kind of interpretation. Steps, as in the separation between notes on a guitar. Taken tonight. Click to see it larger.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Lets see someone come up with this kind of interpretation. Steps, as in the separation between notes on a guitar. Taken tonight. Click to see it larger.

guitar_bw_no_head.jpg

really nice. Looks great in black and white. Exif?

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
really nice. Looks great in black and white. Exif?

Put the guitar on a chair draped with black cloth, shut the lights out, set the camera for 2 seconds, f/5.6, about 80mm on the tamron 18-200.

Used my SB-28 to light it at 1/16 3-4 times from the body down the neck. The flash was snooted (homemade with a cereal box and duct tape) and I used a thin white cotton photo glove over the end as a diffuser.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Put the guitar on a chair draped with black cloth, shut the lights out, set the camera for 2 seconds, f/5.6, about 80mm on the tamron 18-200.

Used my SB-28 to light it at 1/16 3-4 times from the body down the neck. The flash was snooted (homemade with a cereal box and duct tape) and I used a thin white cotton photo glove over the end as a diffuser.

Is somebody a strobist?:D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
I'm entering. It's one of the last days of this assignment, and I'm the one who started this thread. :eek: I have an excuse, though. I had no computer for around 2 weeks.

Here is "The first step....." This is may be interpreted as a loose interpretation.

Attachments

• The First Step.jpg
    The First Step.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 137

macourteau

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Canada
A more funny than artistic shot. Taken on june 10th. EXIF:

Camera body: Canon EOS 30D
Lens: Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Exposure: 0"8
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal length: 26mm
ISO: 100
Flash: flash did not fire
The camera was mounted on a tripod.

This picture was taken in a staircase next to an engineering school in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Photo URL: http://www.flickr.com/photos/macourteau/655219496/

Attachments

• 655219496_508c07af05_b_d.jpg
    655219496_508c07af05_b_d.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 162

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
A more funny than artistic shot. Taken on june 10th. EXIF:

Camera body: Canon EOS 30D
Lens: Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Exposure: 0"8
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal length: 26mm
ISO: 100
Flash: flash did not fire
The camera was mounted on a tripod.

This picture was taken in a staircase next to an engineering school in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Photo URL: http://www.flickr.com/photos/macourteau/655219496/

For some reason I REALLY like this picture.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
FWIW, a more conventional view of this area of the waterfront can be seen here, including another example visible of these now blocked-off sets of steps down to the water.

-hh

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Here's my submission, taken June 26th.

Camera: Canon PowerShot G7
Exposure: 10"
Aperture: f 4.5 aperture (not sure why I wasn't down at f 2.8...)
Focal Length: 8.21mm
ISO: 80
Flash: Off

These steps are on the campus of The University of Texas at Austin, by the LBJ Presidential Library.

Attachments

• steps.jpg
    steps.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 154
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.