Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
This thread is for photos that were taken before July 9th, 2007, but fit the topic.

The rules still need to be followed for photos posted in this thread.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
waterbellows.jpg

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Finally, a topic that I actually already have some stuff online :D

356pita.jpg

"Russian Destroyer 356" wreck. Sunk in 1996 off of Cayman Brac.

This is the same wreck that I have the "staircase in light" image from, as well as several others.

-hh

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Heavy Weather

In the eye of Hurricane Lily (2002; was upgraded from a TS to a CAT1 as it passed over us)

brac(021003-3-16)c.jpg

Compressed image from telephoto; the waves are probably 15-footers breaking over the reef that's around 75yds beyond the wooden dock. Visibility is down to well under 500ft, so what that grey wall is hiding are ~30 footers that were haystacking at the dropoff into deepwater around a 1/4 mile out. A local resident called this wave formation "whales", as they appeared as a huge transient bulge interrupting the horizon, which vaguely looked like it was being caused by a (large) whale surfacing. They would kind of go "brrrrrpt-" up, then subside, which took maybe 4-5 seconds each. Wierd.

36 hours later, we were back scuba diving, with flat seas, clear blue skies and 200ft visibility underwater.

-hh

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
go figure, lol, took this on the first.. im about to just go back into the woods and take the same picture over just so i can enter it.

attachment.php

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
Ah yes, Donald Crowhurst, I recall reading about his unfortunate voyage.

Anyway I'm far too tired to host this elsewhere and I'll probably screw this up or only have a thumbnail or something...but oh well...so here's an old Autocar devolving away in New England.

EDIT: as predicted, I somehow screwed that up, but this appears to be working now...

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_2256 virtual neutral density_bw solar alt.method1000.jpg
    DSC_2256 virtual neutral density_bw solar alt.method1000.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 1,960

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting

Anyway I'm far too tired to host this elsewhere and I'll probably screw this up or only have a thumbnail or something...but oh well...so here's an old Autocar devolving away in New England.

EDIT: as predicted, I somehow screwed that up, but this appears to be working now...

attachment.php

Great Photograph.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=79262&d=1184254485

That is an amazing photograph, really powerful in some respects. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

attachment.php

Wow, that's fantastic. How much Photoshopping did you do?

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
That is an amazing photograph, really powerful in some respects.
Great Photograph.
Wow, that's fantastic. How much Photoshopping did you do?

Thanks very much for the comments. I originally thought the shot was a wash because the sky was a very very bright white overcast that day. Luckily I liked the framing of a few shots such as this one and I tooled around with the curves a bit. A lot actually, essentially the effect is like the 'solarize' filter, except I pull the curve all the way up to the top (instead of 50%) and then fool around with its exact placement. So essentially I switched the white in the sky to be black, and the gray in the shot to be white. So the photoshop was:

convert to b&w, crazy curves, then levels to even things out and the usual sharpening.

To give you a better sense of what I saw when shooting, here's the same shot in a color version (which I disfavor). PS on this shot was: up the saturation to get something besides white out of the sky, levels, sharpen.
attachment.php

I've only had a handful of shots in which this idea works, but here's another example of a very very stormy sky working well with the technique (usually you'd just try to up the contrast, but that made things very grainy and required masking out the boat, water etc., while this technique made the sky more dramatic still while also adding to the water and boat).
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_2256 virtual neutral density2000.jpg
    DSC_2256 virtual neutral density2000.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 1,699
  • Boston 5-28-05 - 207frame1200.jpg
    Boston 5-28-05 - 207frame1200.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 1,684

apb3

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
Oh I miss this car... I was in the driver's seat and basically walked away.

Attachments

• Library - 4067.jpg
    Library - 4067.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 108

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003

attachment.php

Outstanding photo!! Is this an example of HDR? Post more!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.