Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Because of the low level of entries I think it's pointless to start a poll, etc. Anyone interested in continuing these threads? PM me

As per popular request, the assignments are back. Thanks to SLC Flyfishing for reigniting the flame.

Because we're coming back from a long departure, the topic is incredibly wide. "Trash" includes trash bins, waste, dumps, whatever your interpretation is. Go crazy... just make sure there's an obvious connection. At the risk of stating the obvious, one of the main subjects in your photo should be "trash". I'm going to open the door to people, but NO POLITICAL POINTS! NO TABLOID FODDER!

Photos have to be taken between the 1st and 31st of Mar. 2008. On the 1st of April I'll try to remember to open a poll for a best-shot selection. If you took a picture that fits the assignment topic, but was taken before 1 Mar. 2008, post it at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5119811#post5119811.

Anyone can enter. Doesn't matter if the photo was taken with a camera-phone, small point and shoot camera, or DSLR. They should be photos you think are GOOD rather than just snapshots. Don't just post anything that fits the topic. That isn't the point. Post something you can be proud of.

If you have never done this before: READ THE RULES BEFORE YOU POST. The rules are rather basic, and a lot of it is common sense, but since we're self-moderated, we don't expect any bone-heads breaking all the rules just because they think they're an exception. Doesn't matter how good your photography is.

Happy shooting!

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
These topics should not be called "Assignments" if you want people to participate you need a better title. I would say "Photo Contest - March 2008"

"Assignments" carries a negative connotation, is not appealing, and will probably not attract as many people as "Contest".

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
These topics should not be called "Assignments" if you want people to participate you need a better title. I would say "Photo Contest - March 2008"

"Assignments" carries a negative connotation, is not appealing, and will probably not attract as many people as "Contest".

The assignment thread has been very popular in the past. General themes like lighting, water, contrast, evil - are always very popular and encourage people to take a new look at what they have done in the past, or go out and search for what the assignment title means to them. Assignment means "mission" more than "homework."

I also happen to think that "photo contest" is not a good thing for this forum, as the variance and subjectivity is too great to crown a "winner". It's a logistical judging nightmare. But, I am just one voice and it appears that a photo contest thread has emerged for those who are interested in such a topic.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
The assignment thread has been very popular in the past. General themes like lighting, water, contrast, evil - are always very popular and encourage people to take a new look at what they have done in the past, or go out and search for what the assignment title means to them. Assignment means "mission" more than "homework."

I also happen to think that "photo contest" is not a good thing for this forum, as the variance and subjectivity is too great to crown a "winner". It's a logistical judging nightmare. But, I am just one voice and it appears that a photo contest thread has emerged for those who are interested in such a topic.

Therefore, we should have 3 judges (3 different ones each month) i mean there are regulars here who would participate im sure. The thing is, like SLC said, there shoudl be a contest. People responded to that; a "contest". If you would like, I would be more than happy to host the March Contest, i think i could do a good job at managing it.
--I could be one of the judges along side 2 more
-- we will have one topic i.e. trash
-- There will be a cutoff date say march 25th where any entry after that will not be considered.
-- Afterwards the 3 judges will each choose their favorite photo, and of those three photos we can:
1) come to a consensus where at least 2 out of the 3 of the judges agree with a photo and crown it the "photo of the month" and if no one agree we can conduct a Mac Rumors Poll where the members will vote for which of the 3 photos they like most. And the votes will be tallied at the end of say March 31st

or
2) judges will each pick their favorite photo. If all judges pick the same photo, that photo will be crowned "photo of the month". If each judge picks a different one (3 different photos) or if 2 pick the same photo and 1 picks a different one (2 different photos), in both cases they will go straight to a Mac Rumors poll. (basically the whole finding a consensus deal in step 1 has been eliminated)

we could have more than 3 judges but I think three would be best...

I think this would be a fun idea, and if it doesnt work out, then we wont do it the next month. But if it does work out, then we will choose a different set of judges next month and repeat the process with a new topic.

tell me what you think.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
so wait, is this assignment dead?

here's a shot I took last weekend with my polaroid pinhole camera I made. :)
this house (even these ruins) don't exist anymore (destroyed and removed sometime in the week between when I shot this and when I drove back by.

pinholeRuins.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.