Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Choose the photo assignment for September

• Candids

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Doorknobs

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Edges

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Geometry

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Patterns/Rhythm

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Shallow (depth of field)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Sport

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Vote here for the topic for the September photography assignment.

Please only vote if you intend to take part in the assignment.

Suggestions came from this thread - selection made to try to maintain KISS criteria and take out duplicates.

We'll take the winner as on Monday morning (sorry it's later than usual)

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I'm in for this one seeing as the new camera arrives in a couple of days! Opted for Geometry as I think I'll be able to get to grips with that first... baby steps an' all...

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I see that polling is secret this month. Nobody knows who is voting for what...I never got around to shooting a single picture last month, so I will abstain from voting this month. But, I will try much harder to participate.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
nbs2 said:
I see that polling is secret this month.

Um... yeah... I forgot to click that button :eek: Let me know if people prefer it 'secret' or not. We made it public at one point so that we could kinda see whether it was people who participated in the photography forum that were voting and not random bods picking hard topics!

Feel free to vote for what you want to shoot this month, nbs2. If you have the intention of entering, that's enough in the spirit as far as I'm concerned. It's not always possible to get the shot that you want given the topic chosen after all. My camera has finally come back from being fixed (although apparently it had been sitting in the store for 2 weeks!) so will attempt something this week.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
jared_kipe said:
So its european biased? :eek:

I bet you can find interesting door knobs / openers in lots of cities in the US. And if the knob itself isn't interesting, the lighting, the surroundings, a hand on a knob, a knob and a slightly open door, giving a hint of what you meet when you turn the knob...:)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
the first time i have no idea what i should vote for. there are some very interesting topics but i can't decide and i have no idea for any of the topics yet. i guess the best for me is not to vote and just go with what you guys decide. this time it will definately be interesting.

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
watch out people, they taught me in health class you can become pregnant from doorknobs!

Serpent

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Doorknob? Can I just take a photo of my idiot neighbours, or is that too abstract?

How about any knob I can grab and twist.

And since I didn't shoot buildings last time either (um....I live in an area with not a single interesting building. I'm also beside the beach, so that's on the plus side ;) ).

I also don't know if we have any euro-doorknobs around here.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Abstract said:
Doorknob? Can I just take a photo of my idiot neighbours, or is that too abstract?

How about any knob I can grab and twist.

And since I didn't shoot buildings last time either (um....I live in an area with not a single interesting building. I'm also beside the beach, so that's on the plus side ;) ).

I also don't know if we have any euro-doorknobs around here.
Maybe we can expand it to read:
Doorknobs and Abstract's Idiot Neighbors?

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos! (Any Simpsons' fans in here?)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
People, stop voting for the loosing ones like patterns/rhythms. When they are this far gone they should be eliminated from the poll.
I think the loosing categories are drawing votes away from geometry and shallow DOF because the ballot is too long and confusing. ;)

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
jared_kipe said:
People, stop voting for the loosing ones like patterns/rhythms. When they are this far gone they should be eliminated from the poll.
I think the loosing categories are drawing votes away from geometry and shallow DOF because the ballot is too long and confusing. ;)
Then maybe we should have multiple rounds. And you mean "losing" not "loosing." I hope you don't take that personally, just trying to help in all honesty.

If we're going to have so many choices each time maybe we should have multiple rounds, or at least 2?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
The aim is to do it relatively quickly while having enough days so people get a chance to vote. Multiple rounds would drag the process out.

Patterns was the runner-up last month so it's surprising to see how low it is this month. But I can't edit the poll once it's in progress so we'll just have to see how things go. I do already cut the field from the suggestions thread based on trying to keep things simple and making sure that ideas which several people praised are included and any that several people spoke out against are excluded.

There's still time for one of the others to come back and win. If not, well, I guess everyone has a door... so everyone should be able to post something!

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I heard Doorknobs has an illegitimate child, ask yourself, "do I want to put my faith in a 'knob?"

Vote Geometry, for its continued support in education and the fine arts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.