Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NomadCRY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Hello everyone. For about three hours, I have read tons of articles about using the battery correctly, but I could not find a definite common idea for the following question.

If we are going to stay somewhere for a certain period of time (for example like 10 hours at home), should the device be kept on charge or it should be run on battery and when the battery drops to a certain level like 30%, and put the device on charge again? There is absolutely no common idea in this regard.

Yes okey I now understand that after three hours of reading, we can leave the device on charge almost all the time, provided that we use the battery once in a week etc. There is no problem in that. According to different opinions, it is also okay to use the battery and charge it when it drops around like 30%. This is okay too. But my main question is, -as I mentioned in the second paragraph- "At home, should the device be kept on charge or it should be run on battery and when the battery drops to a certain level like 30%, plug the device into charge again?"

For now I use and charge the battery every day. I don't know which way is healthier when I stay at home like 10 hours.

Probably, as in every subject about the battery, everybody will offer different ideas and it seems that we will not come to a conclusion, but I still wanted to ask you. Hope at least we may conclude this subject.

Thank you in advance.

n1smo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Hello everyone. For about three hours, I have read tons of articles about using the battery correctly, but I could not find a definite common idea for the following question.

If we are going to stay somewhere for a certain period of time (for example like 10 hours at home), should the device be kept on charge or it should be run on battery and when the battery drops to a certain level like 30%, and put the device on charge again? There is absolutely no common idea in this regard.

Yes okey I now understand that after three hours of reading, we can leave the device on charge almost all the time, provided that we use the battery once in a week etc. There is no problem in that. According to different opinions, it is also okay to use the battery and charge it when it drops around like 30%. This is okay too. But my main question is, -as I mentioned in the second paragraph- "At home, should the device be kept on charge or it should be run on battery and when the battery drops to a certain level like 30%, plug the device into charge again?"

For now I use and charge the battery every day. I don't know which way is healthier when I stay at home like 10 hours.

Probably, as in every subject about the battery, everybody will offer different ideas and it seems that we will not come to a conclusion, but I still wanted to ask you. Hope at least we may conclude this subject.

Thank you in advance.

If you are running macOS 10.15 Catalina then I suggest you look into AlDente. I like to keep the battery around 30-50% when I'm at home.

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
My MacBook is always used at home on my desk.
I have a dock which powers the MacBook too - unless I am using the peripherals connected to the dock I use my system off of battery most of the time, and then plug the dock in to either charge when needed, or while using FCPX...

Reactions: jbachandouris

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

Thank you in advance.

are you running macOS Catalina 10.15.5 or later?
if so, then keep it plugged in. its no problem.
to do this, make sure you check the battery management feature in preferences.
it prevents overcharging. makes yr battery max capacity on one charge a little bit less.
but makes the battery able to have better health over time.

quote from apple knowledge base:
How battery health management helps
The battery health management feature in macOS 10.15.5 is designed to improve your battery's lifespan by reducing the rate at which it chemically ages. The feature does this by monitoring your battery's temperature history and its charging patterns.
Based on the measurements that it collects, battery health management may reduce your battery's maximum charge when in this mode. This happens as needed to ensure that your battery charges to a level that's optimized for your usage—reducing wear on the battery, and slowing its chemical aging.
While battery health management benefits your battery's long-term lifespan, it can also reduce the amount of time your Mac runs on one battery charge when capacity limits are applied. If your priority is making your Mac notebook last as long as possible before recharging, you can turn the feature off.
When battery health management is turned on, your battery's maximum charging capacity might be limited. Although the feature is designed to improve your battery's lifespan, the limited maximum capacity might update your battery status menu to indicate a need for service.
endquote

NomadCRY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
My MacBook is always used at home on my desk.
I have a dock which powers the MacBook too - unless I am using the peripherals connected to the dock I use my system off of battery most of the time, and then plug the dock in to either charge when needed, or while using FCPX...

So you choose the second way. Use the battery and charge it. Okey, this is my usage style right now.

And the member above said if you are near the outlet, plug it all the time.he choose the first way.

Again there are different answers and no common consensus :( My mind gonna explode.

NomadCRY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
are you running macOS Catalina 10.15.5 or later?
if so, then keep it plugged in. its no problem.
to do this, make sure you check the battery management feature in preferences.
it prevents overcharging. makes yr battery max capacity on one charge a little bit less.
but makes the battery able to have better health over time.

quote from apple knowledge base:
How battery health management helps
The battery health management feature in macOS 10.15.5 is designed to improve your battery's lifespan by reducing the rate at which it chemically ages. The feature does this by monitoring your battery's temperature history and its charging patterns.
Based on the measurements that it collects, battery health management may reduce your battery's maximum charge when in this mode. This happens as needed to ensure that your battery charges to a level that's optimized for your usage—reducing wear on the battery, and slowing its chemical aging.
While battery health management benefits your battery's long-term lifespan, it can also reduce the amount of time your Mac runs on one battery charge when capacity limits are applied. If your priority is making your Mac notebook last as long as possible before recharging, you can turn the feature off.
When battery health management is turned on, your battery's maximum charging capacity might be limited. Although the feature is designed to improve your battery's lifespan, the limited maximum capacity might update your battery status menu to indicate a need for service.
endquote

Yep run on Catalina and I know that feature but I don’t believe this feature works as it should to be.

• Haha
Reactions: jpn

kimi05

Suspended
Sep 22, 2020

Thank you in advance.

It doesn't matter, if you check your battery life you will find it's degrading every week between 0.3% - 0.6%; batteries are kinda trash when is about quality on latest Apple laptops

NomadCRY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
It doesn't matter, if you check your battery life you will find it's degrading every week between 0.3% - 0.6%; batteries are kinda trash when is about quality on latest Apple laptops
You still here? Go away troll. Sick of your nonsense threads and comments.

kimi05

Suspended
Sep 22, 2020

Excuse me?

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
I know I have seen the persons history, just annoying comments
[automerge]1600855540[/automerge]

Excuse me?
battery will not get better with an intel cpu, that's why apple is going arm

Reactions: NomadCRY

kimi05

Suspended
Sep 22, 2020
I know I have seen the persons history, just annoying comments
[automerge]1600855540[/automerge]

battery will not get better with an intel cpu, that's why apple is going arm

So it' intel's fault and non from Apple for having a crap battery provider for their laptops.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
no its Intels fault for not providing a cpu that heats up and thus degrading battery life. you ever wonder why iPads have excellent battery life?

on a side note intel has been using the same node from 2015, 14+++++++++++++

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Yep run on Catalina and I know that feature but I don’t believe this feature works as it should to be.

right.
alternative facts.
happy life.
works well on my machine.
but that's meaningless, i know.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
I think the OP already knows all the answers. I think he knows batteries have limited and somewhat unpredictable life, so Bob may need a replacement after two years while Lucky Joe's will last for the five or six years he uses the device. It's pot-luck, it's the random finger of chance poking you in the eye or not, just like some folk reach a ripe old age and some are stricken while tragically young. I refer you to Ecclesiastes 3:1.

Seeking to extend a battery's life by adopting this or that charging pattern is a futile quest and doomed to failure, you'd have better prospects seeking the holy grail. Just use the computer and stop fretting about the battery, you know it makes sense.

Reactions: Patcell

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hi back at you.
I have no idea what the correct answer is. I only know two things.
  1. Apple Engineers are far smarter than I am. I will trust that they know most of their users are ignorant of battery 'best practices' and build and code their devices to overcome our lack of knowledge.
  2. I have three iPhoneXs since release date. I charge them at home on Wireless chargers whenever not being used and charge it in the car to and from work everyday ( 30min each way ).
Since updating to iOS 14, my phone has a new message that the phone battery has significantly degraded. It is also stating Max Capacity 93%. I think not too bad for a 3 year old device. I intend to purchase 3 new iPhones, when released this year.

IMG_0501.jpg

My MBPr15 (2019) also states a battery service is recommended. Not sure why, it lasts 8-9 hours when needed, but normally at work, I keep it plugged in.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
If you will use the MBP at home most of the time, why to care about battery health? It will be plugged in the grid anyway....so even if the battery is dead or at 20% health, your machine will run at 100% performance

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Honestly, I don't get why people stress over battery health so much all the time. Its a consumable item. Use your device the way that works best for you. I never check battery health on any of my devices. If they ever get noticeably bad (which hasn't happened to me in the past) I'll just replace the battery. Period.

Reactions: ParagJain

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Hi back at you.
I have no idea what the correct answer is. I only know two things.
  1. Apple Engineers are far smarter than I am. I will trust that they know most of their users are ignorant of battery 'best practices' and build and code their devices to overcome our lack of knowledge.
  2. I have three iPhoneXs since release date. I charge them at home on Wireless chargers whenever not being used and charge it in the car to and from work everyday ( 30min each way ).
Since updating to iOS 14, my phone has a new message that the phone battery has significantly degraded. It is also stating Max Capacity 93%. I think not too bad for a 3 year old device. I intend to purchase 3 new iPhones, when released this year.

View attachment 958069

My MBPr15 (2019) also states a battery service is recommended. Not sure why, it lasts 8-9 hours when needed, but normally at work, I keep it plugged in.

Six phones in three years will make you a pretty good Apple customer!

Reactions: 960design

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
If you are running macOS 10.15 Catalina then I suggest you look into AlDente. I like to keep the battery around 30-50% when I'm at home.
How does AlDente work--does it turn off the charging circuit when the computer battery reaches a certain amount? Can you set up upper and lower battery capacity charge levels? When on battery does AlDente use much power resources?

TIA

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice:

At home, take it OFF the charger 3-4 times a week, and let the battery drop down to about 35-40%, then plug it back in.

At home, UNPLUG the charger from the wall at night while the computer is shut down or sleeping. Plug it back in, in the morning.

Leaving the MacBook plugged into the charger "too much" seems to affect the battery adversely, and I believe this is a prime cause of "swollen batteries".

My opinion only.
Others will disagree.
Some will disagree vehemently.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
At home, UNPLUG the charger from the wall at night while the computer is shut down or sleeping. Plug it back in, in the morning.

Leaving the MacBook plugged into the charger "too much" seems to affect the battery adversely, and I believe this is a prime cause of "swollen batteries".
+1 for this.

I generally haven't cared that much about my battery, until COVID had me working from home for last 7 months where I use my MBP now as my primary work computer. Having read more stories that plugging MBP in all the time (and especially overnight) can lead to battery swelling issues, this is what I now do.

- MBP plugged in from 9am - 6:30pm as I'm working closed-clamshell into external monitor/kb/tp
- Once done work at ~6:30pm, put computer to sleep, and unplug
- If I ever need to use the computer for personal use in the evening, I use it unplugged like a laptop on battery. On weeknights, battery may get down to 70/80% on avg when using it
- Leave unplugged overnight
- In morning, plug back in right before starting work again
- On weekends, only using as a laptop on battery, not plugged in. Plug back in Mon morning per above

This works for me. Very small effort on my part, fits the way I work / use my laptop, and enough time on-battery that should help keep battery degradation minimized.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
It's going to wear no matter what, whether you use it or not, and how long it lasts is partly related to usage, partly to the environment (i.e., the amount of heat it sees), and partly to the specific manufacturing aspects of the very individual battery. Unfortunately, the optimal thing for use at the home would be AC power usage with the battery in a partial discharge state, which we cannot control with macOS and it is certainly not convenient (i.e, we have a battery for the very purpose of runtime!) How much the ability to store at a partial would improve things is still debatable...macOS does have an optimization feature on the latest builds. If you can avoid extremely deep discharges without inconvenience, do avoid them. If you cannot, that's okay as it is still going to wear, and replacement is only like 200 bucks, and if you use your computer a lot, you can expect to get one free battery replacement if you have AppleCare, which offsets have the AC purchase cost.

So if you are discharging to 30 percent and then recharging, the wear is going to be greater than say several discharges and recharges to perhaps 60 percent. Exactly how much is hard to quantify because so many aspects are involved here, and truthfully I would not modify usage patterns for what is not a really expensive battery replacement, FWIW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.