Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I would love to walk down to the corner store and pick up a lens cleaning kit, but for those of you who have been here, you know that isn't really possible...

is there any way to do an okay clean job with a t-shirt? What if it is damp? Please advise - i'm about ready to go out exploring for the day, and I'd like my lens as good and fixed up as i can get it before i leave!

Also, if it fogs up during the day, which it likely will, what is the best quick remedy? THANKS!

agtoau

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
I would love to walk down to the corner store and pick up a lens cleaning kit, but for those of you who have been here, you know that isn't really possible...

is there any way to do an okay clean job with a t-shirt? What if it is damp? Please advise - i'm about ready to go out exploring for the day, and I'd like my lens as good and fixed up as i can get it before i leave!

Also, if it fogs up during the day, which it likely will, what is the best quick remedy? THANKS!

Spaceball,

You went to India - a high dust, high humidity environment - with no cleaning materials?

I recommend going to one of the opticians store (there are many - Zeiss might be in your neighborhood even) and asking them for lens cloth. That shouldn't be hard. Ask your hotel staff for the nearest place.

agtoau

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA

If you are going to be traveling in an air-conditioned car (which you will, since the summer heat is going to kill you otherwise) ask the driver to tone down the AC (you might even want to specify the temps, say 26 degrees C) so that when you step out the condensation is minimal.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
When you bring the camera and lenses from cold to hot environment you need to make this transition as smooth for the equipment as possible. I always keep my camera in my camera bag until it warms up, otherwise the cold air inside the camera might condensate. Granted, this is more important in the winter, but even going from 20C air conditioned room with very dry air to 40C and 90% humidity might be problematic.

Gold89

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2008
UK
I recommend going to one of the opticians store (there are many - Zeiss might be in your neighborhood even) and asking them for lens cloth. That shouldn't be hard. Ask your hotel staff for the nearest place.
This. Alternatively find a chemist and buy rubbing alcohol/surgical spirit and some lint free cloths. :)

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
When you bring the camera and lenses from cold to hot environment you need to make this transition as smooth for the equipment as possible. I always keep my camera in my camera bag until it warms up, otherwise the cold air inside the camera might condensate. Granted, this is more important in the winter, but even going from 20C air conditioned room with very dry air to 40C and 90% humidity might be problematic.

Absolutely, and the humidity does not need to be that high for condensation. I had this happen to me in Dubai coming out of the A/C hotel and walking down the main street, everything on the camera fogged up. Luckily leaving it to settle and dry out all was OK.

All the best
Andrew W.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.