Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff Hall

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
I've got two iPhone 5 smartphones and one non-smart phone on a legacy AT&T family plan with 700 shared minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data. Generally we are using less than 2GB data each per month, and never use up our allotment of minutes. We are paying $156/mo (and this includes a $10 discount thru my wife's employer).

We want to upgrade to 2 iPhone 6s models and keep the existing non-smartphone on the plan (for a non technical relative).

In SoCal we generally only see about 3 bars of LTE. Frankly I think network performance sucks. I would expect the same on Verizon here given the population of users but their network will work much better for us when out of state and have no access to wifi. But our data usage will skyrocket there.

The question is whether we just stay on our existing plan and upgrade our iPhones or enroll in the Apple upgrade program and switch to Verizon. I'm having a very hard time finding an accurate monthly cost estimate. It appears that regardless you now spread the phone cost over 24 months instead of shelling out $300 up front as in the past? Is that true?

Would it better to talk to someone at an Apple Store or a Verizon store and can you only enroll in the iPhone upgrade program at an Apple Store?

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
A) AT&T is canceling 2 yr contracts on Friday. So if you want to stay, I would upgrade all 3 lines. (you can remove DATA and put the sim card back in the dumbphone)

B) In my exp in LA, AT&T and Verizon have nearly identical performance. YMMV because some areas will have better one or the other but overall it will be about the same.

C) Apple iPhone upgrade program is the same as buying it outright except you have to pay for Applecare+, I believe.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I don't think anyone could really help you with this dilemma. You're basically stuck with paying more for Verizon (better coverage) or AT&T (old unlimited plan).

You can only enroll in the Apple upgrade program at the Apple store. I prefer it to the Verizon/AT&T versions because they give you AC included.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Wow I'm in the same boat should I keep my unlimited data for Att or go to Verizon for 100 and get 14gb data . I'm in NY and I'm pretty sure both services r equal in performance

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
The two networks are relatively close in price. So given any difference - coverage > cost.

Go with the service that is better where you live, play, work and travel. Check out Rootmetrics.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Are they really cancelling everyone on current contracts or new ones?
They are cancelling new ones.

You can get out of your current contract if you have unlimited data tho as they are raising the price on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.