Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ojala67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2017
Audio-Technica 2020 mic works on 2011 Air running El Cap (USB 2.0) and on 2012 MBPro 13" (USB 3.0) running Sierra. Isn't recognized in System Preferences->Sound nor in the USB device tree in System Information on the new Air running High Sierra out of the box. Mic didn't work from the jump or after patching with latest HS patches from App Store. Booted it into Sierra from an external drive and mic still not seen. Any thoughts on why the hell a simple USB device won't work on this new Air? AT support tells me it's Apple's problem HS and the USB Audio Codec. Seems more like a hardware issue since it doesn't work with Sierra either. Anyone with some insight? Thanks.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
As far as I know, the AT2020 doesn't require driver installation as it's class compliant. If it works in every other OS but HS, it seems that they might have changed something in HS.

What you need to do is find another HS machine to confirm. I have access to an AT2020 and an HS machine, I'll give it a try tomorrow if I have a chance.

Audio-Technica 2020 mic works on 2011 Air running El Cap (USB 2.0) and on 2012 MBPro 13" (USB 3.0) running Sierra. Isn't recognized in System Preferences->Sound nor in the USB device tree in System Information on the new Air running High Sierra out of the box. Mic didn't work from the jump or after patching with latest HS patches from App Store. Booted it into Sierra from an external drive and mic still not seen. Any thoughts on why the hell a simple USB device won't work on this new Air? AT support tells me it's Apple's problem HS and the USB Audio Codec. Seems more like a hardware issue since it doesn't work with Sierra either. Anyone with some insight? Thanks.

Ojala67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2017
Thanks! Any insight you can provide would be great. As an aside, I did boot the new Air into Sierra and the mic did not work. However, we were pressed for time and I didn't get a chance to troubleshoot further. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.