Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
What do you guys think about this deal AT&T is offering with purchase of selected iPhone?

$99 32gig Ipad (2018) + 10/mth 1 gig Cellular Service for 24 months = $339 Cost to own

or

$199 128gig Ipad (2018) + 10/mth 1 gig of Cellular Service for 24 months = $439 Cost to own

And

iPhone SE for $5/mth for 30mth. Total cost to own $150 (I have an unlimited data Family plan for the phone)

I am in the 14 day return window as of today.

That ends my question.... but here is a bit more info to better inform my rationale (because I know you guys love details). Feel free to skip.

- I am highly interested in the SE form factor. I don't like having my pockets weighed down or having to do the "GO GO Gadget Thumb" to reach stuff on the far side of the screen.
- I hope that having an iPad 2018 cellular will address all other needs that the SE is too small for.
- My monthly bill to AT&T would only be $35 for both ($20 line service + $5 phone + $10 pad).
- The cost to own on the iPad looks fairly decent.
- I may possibly be looking outside the ecosystem in the near future and this seems like a good way to maintain familial peace via iMessage, FaceTime, Apple Music Family Share, etc.
- If Apple announces something amazing (iPhone SE Xish) at WWDC next week I can still return items unopened.
- If I am convinced that this is a poor deal I can still return items unopened.
- Oh yeah, I am phoneless as my iPhone 6s+ has recently made the ultimate sacrifice. RIP

Last edited:

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
What do you guys think about this deal AT&T is offering with purchase of selected iPhone?

$99 32gig Ipad (2018) + 10/mth 1 gig Cellular Service for 24 months = $339 Cost to own

or

$199 128gig Ipad (2018) + 10/mth 1 gig of Cellular Service for 24 months = $439 Cost to own

And

iPhone SE for $5/mth for 30mth. Total cost to own $150 (I have an unlimited data Family plan for the phone)

I am in the 14 day return window as of today.

That ends my question.... but here is a bit more info to better inform my rationale (because I know you guys love details). Feel free to skip.

- I am highly interested in the SE form factor. I don't like having my pockets weighed down or having to do the "GO GO Gadget Thumb" to reach stuff on the far side of the screen.
- I hope that having an iPad 2018 cellular will address all other needs that the SE is too small for.
- My monthly bill to AT&T would only be $35 for both ($20 line service + $5 phone + $10 pad).
- The cost to own on the iPad looks fairly decent.
- I may possibly be looking outside the ecosystem in the near future and this seems like a good way to maintain familial peace via iMessage, FaceTime, Apple Music Family Share, etc.
- If Apple announces something amazing (iPhone SE Xish) at WWDC next week I can still return items unopened.
- If I am convinced that this is a poor deal I can still return items unopened.
- Oh yeah, I am phoneless as my iPhone 6s+ has recently made the ultimate sacrifice. RIP
I mean it don’t sound like a bad deal if that’s what you want. Me personally I would never own an iPhone se, as I don’t care for how small they are jmo tho, But it doesn’t seem like a bad deal regardless. One thing I don’t like is how they only give you 1gb of data per month. I think it should be unlimited since it’s going on your current plan. 1gb doesn’t take long at all to burn through. Unless you plan on using the iPhone hotspot to the iPad.

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
I mean it don’t sound like a bad deal if that’s what you want. Me personally I would never own an iPhone se, as I don’t care for how small they are jmo tho, But it doesn’t seem like a bad deal regardless. One thing I don’t like is how they only give you 1gb of data per month. I think it should be unlimited since it’s going on your current plan. 1gb doesn’t take long at all to burn through. Unless you plan on using the iPhone hotspot to the iPad.

I can add it to my unlimited for $20 a month. That than starts making the deal less appealing to me because it double my CTO (Cost to own).

Makes me wonder if I would just kill that 1 gig. I am often in Wifi but not always. My thoughts were that I would only use the 1 gig on rare occasion when in a tight spot for quick searching and etc. I could also see my habits changing now that the cellular option is available and possible using more data than expected. hmmm, something to think about and hear other opinions on. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandonjr36

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I can add it to my unlimited for $20 a month. That than starts making the deal less appealing to me because it double my CTO (Cost to own).

Makes me wonder if I would just kill that 1 gig. I am often in Wifi but not always. My thoughts were that I would only use the 1 gig on rare occasion when in a tight spot for quick searching and etc. I could also see my habits changing now that the cellular option is available and possible using more data than expected. hmmm, something to think about and hear other opinions on. Thank you.
Yeah I hear that. You can use your hotspot from the iPhone for it tho. And then you wouldn’t have to worry about using a lot of data

Reactions: Alch3mist

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
It’s been 7 months and I am happy that I made this decision. Only in the 2nd month did I almost go over the 1g on the iPad. Simply adjustment. I keep cell off and only use it when I must; I am averaging about 600mb. All other times I am on WiFi or I use the SE (unlimited).

The only real complaint is that the part of me that wants new shiny stuff sometimes gets tired of the SE. In reality I can take full advantage of the IOS platform with only a slight hit to picture quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.