Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JhonnyC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I've tried searching the forums for a solution but no luck yet, so I decided to start a new thread.

I recently encountered an issue with my surround sound. I was trying to watch netflix, and when I started watching NARCOS, there was no audio output. I tinkered with some settings and no luck. Decided to switch to Hulu and audio was working fine. I closed netflix, and opened it back up and same issue.

I eventually downloaded a 5.1 audio test app that I found in the app store, and to my surprise, I got no audio output, so I figured this issue was related to 5.1 output.

Here is my configuration, hoping to get any advice.

ATV4 -> HDMI -> TV
TV -> Toslink -> Vizio 5.1 Soundbar

the audio output is set to Dolbly Digital

Thanks in advance!

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but every tv I've had experience with so far only outputs 2.1 from the toslink. So plugging a 5.1 source into the hdmi, you're not getting the same 5.1 out of that toslink (ie. your soundbar wouldn't be seeing a 5.1 signal)
Hulu, I think is just stereo. So that could be a reason the two would be different for sound output.
Is there a way for you to plug the hdmi from the Apple TV right into the soundbar to see if sound outputs properly that way?

Last edited:

JhonnyC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but every tv I've had experience with so far only outputs 2.1 from the toslink. So plugging a 5.1 source into the hdmi, you're not getting the same 5.1 out of that toslink (ie. your soundbar wouldn't be seeing a 5.1 signal)
Hulu, I think is just stereo. So that could be a reason the two would be different for sound output.
Is there a way for you to plug the hdmi from the Apple TV right into the soundbar to see if sound outputs properly that way?

Thats a good idea to test. I'll do it when I get home.
[doublepost=1480962331][/doublepost]
Everything is stereo for me, but someone else is having a similar issue: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/hulus-in-mono-on-the-4th-gen-apple-tv.2019295/

Similiar. But I wonder why netflix was giving me silence, as well as the surround sound testing app.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Both my Sony Bravias (MY2010 and MY2015) have the surround audio output from the Toslink port. In audio setup menus you need to select the "Audio System" mode. (It also mutes internal speakers and removes the on-screen volume slider!)
When the 2010 model was only capable of outputting PCM and DD5.1 (AC3), the 2015 also adds DTS.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.