Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluglotse1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Hi,

I'm a long time Apple TV user, and have a new ATV4. While watching content, either streaming through Neflix or Hulu, or, videos stored on my network, the entire signal drops out for a few seconds, and then comes back. I checked and replaced cables, so I don't think the problem is there. The Apple TV 3 was relocated to another room, and has none of the same problems.

Any ideas or help?

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Can't say I've had this issue with my ATV3 or 4, does it happen quite often in one session?

Is it picking up a good signal from your router? Is there anything near by the could be causing a lot of interference?

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Hasn't happened to me, it's either something to do with your home network or you received a defective one.

fluglotse1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Germany
It occurs regularly, and, only on the ATV4. Seconds later it starts again, and works normally. Not every day but often enough.

doctorjeff

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
It occurs regularly, and, only on the ATV4. Seconds later it starts again, and works normally. Not every day but often enough.

Yes I've seen this as well on mine.... I usually unplug it and plug it back in and that resolves the issue

fluglotse1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Germany
The sad part is, I replaced a working ATV3, exact same cabling and location for the ATV4. Support personnel are quick to blame my network or anything but the ATV4. The device isn't totally unusable but ruins the continuity of a film.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
The sad part is, I replaced a working ATV3, exact same cabling and location for the ATV4. Support personnel are quick to blame my network or anything but the ATV4. The device isn't totally unusable but ruins the continuity of a film.

So I assume when you're streaming it will literally just freeze for a few seconds then carry on? Have you tried it on another network? Are you using a cable for the internet or over Wifi?

fluglotse1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Germany
The picture does not freeze - the screen goes dark, and the TV shows "No Signal". A few seconds later the movie starts where it left off. Almost like I unplugged the HDMI cable, then plugged it back in. However, the cables are changed, checked and a quality brand.

Reactions: beachmusic

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
The picture does not freeze - the screen goes dark, and the TV shows "No Signal". A few seconds later the movie starts where it left off. Almost like I unplugged the HDMI cable, then plugged it back in. However, the cables are changed, checked and a quality brand.

I'd say by the sounds of it, its more to do with the network then ATV, have you tried another network?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
OP what you are describing sounds like an HDMI problem. is your Apple TV connected directly to your tv or via a receiver? Try changing the port on your tv or receiver if you have more than one HDMI input.

fluglotse1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Germany
I'd say by the sounds of it, its more to do with the network then ATV, have you tried another network?

It has to do with the ATV. If I switch back to the old ATV3, same network, same HDMI Cable, Same everything, problem solved.

As soon as the ATV is switched from ATV 3 go ATV 4, Problem returns.

Reactions: beachmusic

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
It has to do with the ATV. If I switch back to the old ATV3, same network, same HDMI Cable, Same everything, problem solved.

As soon as the ATV is switched from ATV 3 go ATV 4, Problem returns.
Have you tried it on another network though? I understand where you're coming from, but its all trial and error

fluglotse1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Germany
OP what you are describing sounds like an HDMI problem. is your Apple TV connected directly to your tv or via a receiver? Try changing the port on your tv or receiver if you have more than one HDMI input.

The TV is connected to the AV receiver, and, so is the ATV4. The problem somehow lies with the ATV 4. If I just switch back to the old ATV3, same network, same HDMI Cable, Same TV/Receiver/everything, problem solved.

As soon as the ATV is switched from ATV 3 back to the new ATV 4, Problem returns.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
The TV is connected to the AV receiver, and, so is the ATV4. The problem somehow lies with the ATV 4. If I just switch back to the old ATV3, same network, same HDMI Cable, Same TV/Receiver/everything, problem solved.

As soon as the ATV is switched from ATV 3 back to the new ATV 4, Problem returns.
Maybe take it too Apple then, or call them/book an appointment.

If you have tried a lot of different ways of trying to fix it, seems the Apple TV could be defected

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
When the screen goes black are the inputs on the TV and/or receiver changing? If so goto Settings > Remotes and Devices > Control TVs and Receivers > off. May want to turn HDMI CEC settings off on the receiver and TV as well....just to eliminate it as the cause of the problem.

If that doesn't do anything then try a full reset (settings > system > reset).

If that doesn't do anything take it back.

I've literally had my ATV4 running for over 48 hours on a YouTube channel with the only hiccup being some minor buffering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.