Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danmancs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Considering to get a HomePod when they come out, but will it be able to play the sound from an AppleTV via Airplay?

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Currently, ATV allows audio to be output to any Airplay devices on your network, so HP will probably be the same.

To activate, swipe down on the Siri remote and select Audio output.

What is unclear is if ATV will allow Airplay to multiple devices, that is the promise of Airplay 2. So far, all I have seen is iOS airplay to multiple devices, something macOS\iTunes has supported for some time. But, it would be slick if ATV also supported streaming to multiple devices.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I am planning to do the same thing on one of my TV's without a Sound Bar. I actually tested this with an Express connected to my receiver in another room. I have now switched my sound bars to use BlueTooth directly form the Apple TV which actually works better then using a cable connected to the TV which relies on CEC. Unless I reboot my ATV (like for an update) my bluetooth connection never fails.

I would be disappointed if Apple TV did not support AirPlay 2. Might need 2 of them for what I looking to do.

danmancs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed it doesn't seem to at least have an optical input so you can play from Foxtel, Playstation, etc.

nelson1457

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
Yes, got it going right now. Set ATV Settings> Video and Audio > Audio Output to your HomePod name

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I got my HomePod this morning. I am currently using it with my AppleTV in my downstairs finished room. I was using a soundbar down there which is a polk w/subwoofer. The HomePod absolutely destroys the soundbar in everything but volume.

The HomePod is about 25' from me right now and I can hear everything fine, although the volume is maxed out. If it was just a tad louder it would be perfect. Hopefully apple can increase via an update if they are willing.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

nelson1457

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
My video sounds lovely, best I've heard in years. See my other review in 'HomePod for the Hard of Hearing'

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I have an Apple TV 3rd gen and the airplay from my MacBook Pro to it has always been a pain – lagging and stutters every 5 mins.

Looking at the HomePod and as it doesn’t pair with atv 3rd gen so will be buying a 4K atv too.

Just want to confirm that there shouldn’t be any lag in AirPlay between a MacBook Pro (2017) and an atv 4k? My home wifi is 100Mbps if that makes any difference.

Cheers

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I have an Apple TV 3rd gen and the airplay from my MacBook Pro to it has always been a pain – lagging and stutters every 5 mins.

Looking at the HomePod and as it doesn’t pair with atv 3rd gen so will be buying a 4K atv too.

Just want to confirm that there shouldn’t be any lag in AirPlay between a MacBook Pro (2017) and an atv 4k? My home wifi is 100Mbps if that makes any difference.

Cheers

I'm guessing the 100Mbps number is from your internet provider.
that number has nothing to do with the speed your home wifi. It's only the size of the pipe coming into your home.

airplay is entirely inside your home, so it never goes over the 100mb pipe.

it's hard to say if the new aTV will clean up your airplay, as it's also dependent on your wi-fi, and any interference that may exist in your home. also the distance to the router for both your laptop and the aTV come into play.

if you can hard wire one or both of your devices. it should help

what are you watching with airplay?
if video files, check out beamer instead of doing full-screen mirroring. It allows the file to buffer since it can read ahead on the file, and makes for a little cleaner run.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
what are you watching with airplay?
if video files, check out beamer instead of doing full-screen mirroring. It allows the file to buffer since it can read ahead on the file, and makes for a little cleaner run.

I’m just using AirPlay screen mirroring.

I’ll check out Beamer thanks for the suggestion.

if you can hard wire one or both of your devices. it should help

You mean connecting my MacBook or directly to the wifi modem?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Considering to get a HomePod when they come out, but will it be able to play the sound from an AppleTV via Airplay?

Yes. I've been using mine this way all yesterday afternoon. The sound from the HomePod is a huge improvement over the TV speakers (which, duh!, is kind of a given). The drawback is you have to set the HomePod as the sound source every time.

For example if you listen to music streamed from iTunes on your computer, or iDevice, the next time you watch video on the Apple TV, you'll need to re-set the audio source to the HomePod on the Apple TV. This is relatively easy on the ATV, since from the Home screen you can press and long hold the play/pause button to choose it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.