Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dutchmannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
I have an ATV2 and been using it for years to stream music and videos from my Mac, watch Netflix, etc.

I now also have an iPhone 7, but the videos I recorded with the iPhone stutter when I stream these from the iPhone to the ATV using Airplay. With my previous Iphone 5 I never had such issues.

The ATV is wired and all network settings have been checked and iOs updated. Streaming Youtube and from other apps on the iPhone to ATV also works fine, so it seems the setup is ok and the problem really lies between videos created with and stored on the iPhone 7 and the ATV2.

Will upgrading to an ATV3 solve my issue? Maybe the ATV2 cannot handle the iPhone 7 video stream?

(I prefer ATV3 over 4 because an optical audio output is needed).

Dutchmannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
You may be recording in 4K with your iPhone (iPhone 5 just was not capable to do that).

Thanks. The iPhone 7 camera is set as default ie 1080p at 30fps, not 4K. So seems this is not the issue I guess.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
ATV 2 maxes out at 720p. Maybe that could be the cause. As for. Using a 3rd gen.... Apple recently obsoleted that model.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Thanks. The iPhone 7 camera is set as default ie 1080p at 30fps, not 4K. So seems this is not the issue I guess.
OK. Still, in my experience, iPhone produces video with bitrate that exceeds capabilities of any aTV. I presume they AirPlay because iPhone downconverts them on the fly.
Does the playback improve, if you try to open your movie in iMovie app and export it as a 720p clip for your aTV 2??

boomz26

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2016
I have an ATV2 and been using it for years to stream music and videos from my Mac, watch Netflix, etc.

I now also have an iPhone 7, but the videos I recorded with the iPhone stutter when I stream these from the iPhone to the ATV using Airplay. With my previous Iphone 5 I never had such issues.

The ATV is wired and all network settings have been checked and iOs updated. Streaming Youtube and from other apps on the iPhone to ATV also works fine, so it seems the setup is ok and the problem really lies between videos created with and stored on the iPhone 7 and the ATV2.

Will upgrading to an ATV3 solve my issue? Maybe the ATV2 cannot handle the iPhone 7 video stream?

(I prefer ATV3 over 4 because an optical audio output is needed).

I had the same problem, I was using a ATV2. I upgraded to a ATV4 and the problem no longer happens.

Dutchmannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks all.

Downsizing to 720p with the iMovie app doesn't make any difference unfortunately. The video I exported from iMovie also stutterts when Airplayed to the ATV2.

Re switching to an ATV4 - I'm afraid this is not really an option as I want to be able to stream music to the ATV without having to turn on my TV.
I currently have an Argon DAC between the ATV2's Spdif port and the analogue in of my hi-fi amp, and I'm afraid that even if I'd turn on the TV and use the analogue out of my Sony TV (which has only one HDMI port), the audio quality will be lower.

Any other thoughts on this?

EDIT: Would an HDMI extractor/spliiter like this be an option?
ATV4> HDMI IN of Splitter.
Splitter HDMI OUT > TV.
Splitter SPDIF OUT > DAC.
Note that I do not have a Surround receiver, but a Stereo hi-fi amp. In other words, will these type of - I guess Chinese - devices send a proper Spdif signal to my DAC and not ruin the Stereo experience?

Last edited:

Planky

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
The Sunny Isle of Wight
I use one of those splitters to extract the audio from my Sony TV to extract the TV audio or the TV audio. The TV has an ARC but my Yamaha is too old to do audio in on the HDMI. It works well, the only down side is that another power supply is needed (USB) and if I want the TV to use its own speakers I have to switch the extractor/splitter off.

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
Thanks all.

Downsizing to 720p with the iMovie app doesn't make any difference unfortunately. The video I exported from iMovie also stutterts when Airplayed to the ATV2.

Re switching to an ATV4 - I'm afraid this is not really an option as I want to be able to stream music to the ATV without having to turn on my TV.
I currently have an Argon DAC between the ATV2's Spdif port and the analogue in of my hi-fi amp, and I'm afraid that even if I'd turn on the TV and use the analogue out of my Sony TV (which has only one HDMI port), the audio quality will be lower.

Any other thoughts on this?

EDIT: Would an HDMI extractor/spliiter like this be an option?
ATV4> HDMI IN of Splitter.
Splitter HDMI OUT > TV.
Splitter SPDIF OUT > DAC.
Note that I do not have a Surround receiver, but a Stereo hi-fi amp. In other words, will these type of - I guess Chinese - devices send a proper Spdif signal to my DAC and not ruin the Stereo experience?

You may want to choose HDMI extractor which supports HDMI 1.4 or above. (For 4K resolution). Because Apple may enable 4K through ATV4 in the future (ATV4 has HDMI version 1.4). Just in case.

Also consider HDMI with ARC (audio return channel) to get sound from TV to your DAC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.