Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james changstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
Detroit
I am new to iMac and got a 2017 27" iMac for Christmas - all is well until I noticed the constant humming of the fan -

It's not loud, but it's audible enough to make the work space noisy. The fan is on constantly @ 1200 rpm or so.

I have tried to reset the SMC several times to no avail... Fan comes on as soon as the computer is turned on.

Is this normal for an iMac or should I seek a replacement unit?

Thanks -
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 10.09.03.png

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
1200 RPM is the minimum fan speed so there is nothing wrong with that.

Personally I can't hear the fan at 1200 RPM on my 2017 i7 unit in an average room environment. So either you have very sensitive hearing or your fan is defective.

Reactions: james changstein

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
if you're iMac is equipped with a Fusion Drive there's the possibility that you're hearing the HDD. if it's SSD only, the machine should be almost inaudible with the fan running at 1200 RPM.

Reactions: james changstein

james changstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
Detroit
1200 RPM is the minimum fan speed so there is nothing wrong with that.

Personally I can't hear the fan at 1200 RPM on my 2017 i7 unit in an average room environment. So either you have very sensitive hearing or your fan is defective.

The noise came up after a couple of days - I first thought it came from my attached hard drives as I was migrating lots of files...

Then the noise stayed - it's very loud to my ears... Talked to Apple support who agreed it was probably a defective fan. It's going back for a exchange.
[doublepost=1514395139][/doublepost]
if you're iMac is equipped with a Fusion Drive there's the possibility that you're hearing the HDD. if it's SSD only, the machine should be almost inaudible with the fan running at 1200 RPM.

It is SSD - so I am surprised to hear the consistent noise, it's going back for an exchange...

james changstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
Detroit
I managed to take the iMac to an Apple Store and the employee quickly identified that it wasn't the fan humming; it was the power supply.

I am returning it to the point of purchase (from a non-Apple store) to exchange for a new one. I hope the new one works out better..

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2017
I managed to take the iMac to an Apple Store and the employee quickly identified that it wasn't the fan humming; it was the power supply.

I am returning it to the point of purchase (from a non-Apple store) to exchange for a new one. I hope the new one works out better..
Can you maybe update us when you got the new imac what the fan noise is like?

I have a iMac and the fan noise is crazy to me but it was there from the beginning. Apple store guy told me its normal but I cant imagine a 2017 iMac with fan noise louder than open case desktop PCs...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I managed to take the iMac to an Apple Store and the employee quickly identified that it wasn't the fan humming; it was the power supply."

Just wondering, may not mean anything, but... are the outlets where you live 3-prong (grounded) or 2-prong (NOT grounded) ...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.