Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
Te Wai Pounamu, New Zealand
Further followup. I believe it is an issue with SoundSource 5.7.0. After I quit it, no issues running audio through to the AirPod Pro 2. Will be in touch with the developer.

Schnauzer World

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2018
Further followup. I believe it is an issue with SoundSource 5.7.0. After I quit it, no issues running audio through to the AirPod Pro 2. Will be in touch with the developer.
I fixed it by going to the Soundsource app, Settings > Audio > Latency, move slider to More Reliable. I never had to do it before, but it looks like they made some changes requiring more permissions for their driver.

Schnauzer World

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2018
Ah - nice find - thank you!

That improved things a bit, but hasn't corrected it entirely. I'll keep at it.

It looks like Soundsource made some changes, needed more permissions for (ARK) whatever that is, maybe something like drivers? I rolling back to 14.7 for now.

henryae9

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2022
So, I went on a wild goose chase to fix my audio issues. I checked the “Kind” of processes running in my activity monitor and discovered that core audio was being run as an “intel” app instead of Apple Silicon. Turns out, I had a Zoom and Microsoft Teams plugin in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL. I deleted them, restarted my computer, and voila! The core audio is now using the “apple” version, and my audio is back to normal. Oh, and I also had the Logitech Mx mouse and keyboard running via Bluetooth, so I switched them to a USB dongle to reduce the number of Bluetooth devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben J. and Eduardot

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
Te Wai Pounamu, New Zealand
SoundSource 5.7.1 has be released with the following in the release notes: "Audio playback to Bluetooth audio devices should be greatly improved, fixing regressions introduced in SoundSource 5.7.0". The update also came with an update to ARK.

Will be testing this week to see if things have improved.

Interesting find, @henryae9. I may check on all that myself if things do not improve.

Schnauzer World

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2018
SoundSource 5.7.1 has be released with the following in the release notes: "Audio playback to Bluetooth audio devices should be greatly improved, fixing regressions introduced in SoundSource 5.7.0". The update also came with an update to ARK.

Interesting find, @henryae9. I may check on all that myself if things do not improve.
I installed 5.7.1 and still had a lot of distortion on both Bluetooth and worse via speakers. It sounded just like when you have a blown speaker, very distorted. I don't know if it's Soundsource or Sequoia.

henryae9

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2022

I would like to disclose that I am guilty of always restoring from "my previous device" or a Time Machine backup every time I upgrade or change my computers, which has happened multiple times since I started using Apple products around 2008. I know it’s highly recommended to start fresh when buying a new device to avoid issues like this—where you’re unsure if the problem is due to a bug in the new OS or old files and processes causing conflicts.

Using the Etrecheck-generated report, I deleted everything the report flagged as an issue on my system, as well as everything in the library associated with old, previously installed apps that had remained. After doing so, my computer feels like new—everything is noticeably faster and more responsive.

I haven’t experienced the Bluetooth audio/AirPods issue again, but I did reduce the load on Bluetooth by using a USB dongle, which doesn’t hurt but likely wasn’t the problem, as I wasn’t having this issue on Sonoma.

From my research in forums and Reddit, it seems Bluetooth issues have been well-documented since the introduction of Apple Silicon. These problems appear to be caused by multiple factors—such as 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi interference with Bluetooth, potential USB 3 cable interference, or high CPU usage—rather than one exact cause. In my case, I’m sure the audio being processed via Rosetta 2 and phantom processes consuming CPU were significant contributing factors.

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
I'm having audio issues (disortion/drops) with my AirPods Pro 2 after installing Sequoia.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I can reliably reproduce distorted audio over Bluetooth with Airpods Max, both in Intel and M series Macs. Easiest way is to test the "boop" notification sound in Settings. If you play it over Bluetooth vs built in speakers and listen carefully, it's very harsh and had clicking noises at the start and finish. Historically, Apple has had issues playing very short bursts of audio over Bluetooth (1 second or less) whereas longer audio streams are fine.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Just got the Airpods Pro 2 firmware update. No difference -- still getting audio crackling via any bluetooth device if it's a short (< 1 second) sound. Opened a bug in Feedback Assistant that hasn't been touched in 2 weeks now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.