Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tee.Nutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
UK
Hi All,

Little disappointed with the new touch bar MacBook pro, but hey ho been waiting for it long enough and I needed an upgrade to my solid 17" Macbook Pro, which incidentally still works a treat.

So, I decided to buy the touch bar Macbook Pro with the LG 5K display, therein lies my questions regarding the glaring omission of optical audio out.

My current speaker setup has digital audio in, has anyone come up with a smart way to connect either the Macbook Pro (Thunderbolt 3) or the LG 5K display (USB-C) to their speakers with digital audio in?

Many Thanks,

Tee

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Looks like you need some kind of USB3-to-digital connector/convertor.
Not sure if any are "out there" yet.
Maybe a USB (with "A" style connector) to TOSLINK, with a USB-c/A adapter?

Go to gearslutz.com and research this.

Tee.Nutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
UK
Looks like you need some kind of USB3-to-digital connector/convertor.
Not sure if any are "out there" yet.
Maybe a USB (with "A" style connector) to TOSLINK, with a USB-c/A adapter?

Go to gearslutz.com and research this.

Thanks for your reply Fishrrman, that is exactly what I was hoping to find out and see if anyone has had any luck finding such connectors/converters

Chocomonsters

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Hi All,

Little disappointed with the new touch bar MacBook pro, but hey ho been waiting for it long enough and I needed an upgrade to my solid 17" Macbook Pro, which incidentally still works a treat.

So, I decided to buy the touch bar Macbook Pro with the LG 5K display, therein lies my questions regarding the glaring omission of optical audio out.

My current speaker setup has digital audio in, has anyone come up with a smart way to connect either the Macbook Pro (Thunderbolt 3) or the LG 5K display (USB-C) to their speakers with digital audio in?

Many Thanks,

Tee

Do you need SPDIF for audio equipment or for driving headphone?

It maybe better to just buy DAC/Amp that has USB/SPDIF/RCA/Coaxial input and use it.

I was looking into Thunderbolt 3 dock with SPDIF, but decided to just connect my DAC/Amp (I use CEntrance DACmini) using USB to drive my headphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.