Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
I have a bit of an unusual issue with my wife’s iPhone 5S.

When filming anything on the normal outward view the audio is almost non-existent. If you turn the volume right up you can just about hear a faint muffled sound. However, the audio is absolutely fine for Voice Memos and when filming with the camera faced towards yourself. I understand there are a couple of audio receptors on iPhones.

I took the phone to a local repair centre (a decent one) and they assumed there was probably a piece of fluff by the receptor. However, they had no luck and reported this to me:

We are unsure on the exact cause of the fault on your iPhone. Normally the part responsible for no audio on the rear camera is the rear microphone, we tested 2 replacement parts in the phone, of which both exhibited the same fault. We also tried cleaning the existing connectors. Given this, the fault could either be down to the logic board or the phone’s software.

The phone is up-to-date with iOS 12.1 and otherwise is in good condition and full working order. I haven’t taken it to an Apple store yet. I wondered if anyone has any suggestions or if there is even a way of changing which audio receptor the phone uses when video recording?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I believe FILMiC Pro lets you select which microphone to use. (At least i know you can choose on the X / XS Max / XR ) but that's a paid app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.