Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jannikmeissner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
London, UK
Last week my mother let me know her old 6 Channel receiver must have died.

She owns a pair of Schneider speakers that he has much longer than I am alive (I am 23), rated at 70W /8 Ohm each, but we both seem to struggle finding an Audio receiver that is of high quality and can handle those speakers fine? She usually tries filling a rather large room, so when reading up she should invest in 140W-200W per channel? And can newer systems made for surround sound give a signal to older Stereo speakers at all?

Maybe someone with a little more experience in buying audiophile great systems has a recommendation what to go for?

I don't mind a used alternative if they are available either as long as they have a good reputation for longevity.

An added plus is a receiver with a very minimalistic front panel, avoiding a million buttons and looking more in line with something Apple would build (though in Black and not Aluminium) rather than the ones you see often with more buttons than sand in the sahara.

jannikmeissner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
London, UK
do you need a replacement with six channels (do you mean a 5.1 A/V receiver?) or is there just "a pair of Schneider speakers"?

it is just two. I also was mistaken, it was 4 total channels, not 6. Apologies, my memory failed me.

I was further mistaken about the spec: 70 Watt , 4 Ohm, not 8.

what are your sources? what does the receiver need to do?

The only sources are CD, a Bluray Player (Audio via Chinch), a Satellite TV Tuner (only used on occasion) and a Record Player. Another one or two inputs would be good, just in case something else needs to be plugged in. It is purely used for audio and Video is not needed necessarily.

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
stereo receivers have made a bit of a return after almost completely disappearing into multi-channel chaos. unfortunately, even as the names remain, who owns them is always changing. chances are you could look at five different brands and they are all actually made in the same Chinese factory. so most of it is unimpressive.

not making recommendations specifically but products to look at:
Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20
Yamaha R-S700
and maybe that is it?

might want to look into getting the broken unit repaired. or pick up some classic monster from the late 70s. well restored, it wont cost you any less but it'll look good up on the shelf.
http://classicreceivers.com/pioneer-sx-1280

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.