Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmandaN55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Avon, IN
Alright, I'm a little confused and need some help. I am new to having a mac. I have a Canon 40D and all my pictures are automatically rotated in my camera. When I upload them to my hard drive they are rotated the correct way, but if I dont do any editing to them, and try to upload them to say...Myspace.com, they are sideways. What do I need to do so that they are automatically rotated. I like the fact that they upload to my harddrive the right way up, but when I try to upload them to myspace, they are sideways.

Ahhh...please help! :confused:

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I could be wrong but the cameras and the applications are reading the exif/meta data and know to rotate the photo so it displays the same way as you photographed it. When it is uploaded, although the same data is there the browser either doesn't read it or can't interpret it so it just displays the picture as is.

There was something on C|net about Microsoft, Canon and a few other companies getting together to try and standardize the data so it is easier for all applications to interpret and use the data and make it simpler for the end user.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
That has to do with MySpace, i'd say.

You see the pictures from the camera are not rotated on a pixel level. Every image your camera makes is oriented landscape, but those that were taken in Portrait mode have the rotation property set to either 90° or -90°.
Your Mac and photo software knows how to interpret that property and display the image it is meant to be.

Another popular example of not interpreting this property correctly is (iirc) the "Windows Picture & Fax Viewer" that is built into windows XP.
It too displays unedited portrait mode photos from digital cameras (my d40 f. ex.) in landscape mode.

The only thing you can do about is either edit your photos or write the MySpace a friendly feature request eMail and hope for the best.

have a nice day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.