Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baccoperbacco3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2022
Hi guys, I have a ESR protector case on my Ipad Pro M2 and just a few minutes ago I noticed that when I flipped the lid up, which normally wakes the Ipad, the screen stayed black and was unresponsive to touch.
I then didn’t press the power button, I just laid the lid back down and opened it again and it worked again as per normal. The iOS is up to date and the option lock/unlock is toggled on.

I have only had the ipad for two weeks and has never behaved this way. Do I need to be concerned about it? Has this happen to anyone? If so, is anyone able to hypothesise what might have happened?
Here is the case: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ESR-11-2021-Generation-Landscape/dp/B08VRF64LH

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Once in a while, the case raise-to-wake just... doesn't work. If the case fails to wake the iPad, just use the power button. This happens from time to time.

baccoperbacco3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2022
Once in a while, the case raise-to-wake just... doesn't work. If the case fails to wake the iPad, just use the power button. This happens from time to time.
Thank you :) I am new to Ipads so Im getting used to all these things.

What concerned me was that the touch screen itself didn’t work. It seemed like the ipad was acting as though the lid was still on and therefore unresponsive to touchscreen.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Thank you :) I am new to Ipads so Im getting used to all these things.

What concerned me was that the touch screen itself didn’t work. It seemed like the ipad was acting as though the lid was still on and therefore unresponsive to touchscreen.
That's what happens, it keeps thinking you have it inside the case so it ignores all touch. The home button still works since you'd need to exert a little force to use it, so it would almost never be pushed on accident.

Also, did you open the case any different than you usually do it? e.g. did you open it really fast or slow?

baccoperbacco3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2022
That's what happens, it keeps thinking you have it inside the case so it ignores all touch. The home button still works since you'd need to exert a little force to use it, so it would almost never be pushed on accident.

Also, did you open the case any different than you usually do it? e.g. did you open it really fast or slow?
I am a little weird with tech devices as I want them to be pristine and functioning as long as possible (I have OCPD). Therefore whenever I use it, I do everything at a slow pace - including opening the lid :) other than that, nothing different.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
All of the iPads I've used have occasionally not responded to the lid being opened.

What you said that happened, happens all the time: set it back down, flip it up again and it works. Unless it stops working consistently even after a hard reboot, don't worry.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Hi guys, I have a ESR protector case on my Ipad Pro M2 and just a few minutes ago I noticed that when I flipped the lid up, which normally wakes the Ipad, the screen stayed black and was unresponsive to touch.
I then didn’t press the power button, I just laid the lid back down and opened it again and it worked again as per normal. The iOS is up to date and the option lock/unlock is toggled on.

I have only had the ipad for two weeks and has never behaved this way. Do I need to be concerned about it? Has this happen to anyone? If so, is anyone able to hypothesise what might have happened?
Here is the case: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ESR-11-2021-Generation-Landscape/dp/B08VRF64LH
You were luckier than me: this morning my iPad Pro worked like a charm, left it close
than i took it back from my table and it was black , didn't wake up even connecting it to the power
Opened the lid closed again, touched the screen, tried all the buttons : nada
I found a way on apple support on what to do and now works again:black frozen screen
I bought it just 3 months ago. Never happened to me and I had several iPad before
Should I go to the Genius? Does it happen sometime?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.