Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
How can I just completely turn of autocorrect and spelling.
I already disabled
- Correct spelling automatically
- Capitalise words automatically

I find Apple Spelling super annoying as it just changes words without me telling it too while one types. And it is not good at understanding that 3+ mistyped characters actually means I know what I am doing and it is not mistyped at all just a different word. Like a character flip to correct fine. But it often switches words which are just words it does not know instead of leaving them as it.

This is super annoying in notes, writing technical jargon. How can I just disable the whole feature completely?

Reactions: Bento.Box

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Did you do this just in the Notes application or within the global settings for your Mac?

System Preferences > Keyboard > Text
Within that you can also disable the two items that are bothering you

Reactions: Boyd01

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Did you do this just in the Notes application or within the global settings for your Mac?

System Preferences > Keyboard > Text
Within that you can also disable the two items that are bothering you
I did it in the global settings as I cannot find any setting in the notes app related to this. I don't think there is.

I am on Ventura so maybe a bit different layout but shouldn't that be disabled?
Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 15.34.44.png

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I am on Monterey and it does look different, but the options are basically the same. Our spelling settings are the same although I have the auto period and smart quotes disabled. I haven't used Notes in years, but just opened it and no autocorrect is happening. I couldn't find an autocorrect preference in Notes either.

Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 10.28.11 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.