Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baking soda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Italy
Is anyone experiencing issues with the rear cameras focus feature?
It seems to struggle A LOT and quite often with focusing, on both close and far objects. My LiDAR sensor and camera lens are fine.
I have around one week left to return the phone and want to make sure it's not a hardware defect.
A few examples:
- Today I was in the car (not driver), saw a nice car in front of us and decided to pull my phone out for a real quick shot: the phone couldn't focus and the picture got blurry, it's like it focused on the dashboard (I did give him a 1-2 seconds time to do the autofocus thingy but it failed)
- I wanted to scan a QR and yeah I was a little close but not too close and it couldn't focus
- Cameras have a hard time focusing in general and it's a little awkward

I do have Macro mode enabled (meaning the wide angle camera is allowed to be used for macros when really close to the subjects?) and I read somewhere that it could cause issues, but wanted to see if anyone else is noticing this behavior regardless.
Thanks!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Not sure why you couldn’t get autofocus to work on the car, but the QR code issue may have been caused by the difference in the minimum focus distance. The iPhone 14 pro is approximately 8”, compared to ~6” on the 13 pro and ~4.5” on the 12 pro.

fstevens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
Not sure why you couldn’t get autofocus to work on the car, but the QR code issue may have been caused by the difference in the minimum focus distance. The iPhone 14 pro is approximately 8”, compared to ~6” on the 13 pro and ~4.5” on the 12 pro.
Good to know - I was having trouble with Sam's Club Scan & Go reading barcodes that I know my 12 Pro could read immediately. I must have been too close (i.e. you're holding it wrong!)

baking soda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Italy

I was probably holding my phone at 2-3 inches from the code. Too close?

Regarding the car photo, it's like the phone immediately focused on the dashboard and didn't realize I was point further away to the car in front of us and didn't change the focus on time. It's weird cause it feels as though this only happens with my new phone. Never had this impression with other phones (that the phone gets confused about what should be in focus)

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020

Regarding the car photo, it's like the phone immediately focused on the dashboard and didn't realize I was point further away to the car in front of us and didn't change the focus on time. It's weird cause it feels as though this only happens with my new phone. Never had this impression with other phones (that the phone gets confused about what should be in focus)
It’s getting annoying, I heard that the camera has A slow start to turn on but I have to point and keep the iphone stable for a good 2-3 minutes to finally get it to focus, same thing with any other features, it took me like A good minute to get the camera to shoot in night mode!

Last edited:
Reactions: baking soda

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

That’s definitely too close.

Did you try tapping on the screen where you want the phone to focus? Dirty windows can cause issues too, because it detects the window and focuses there instead of on the object you’re trying to photograph.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Apple has been so off their game lately it almost pains me to say it, but my iPhone 14 Pro has been perfect so far. No hardware or software issues. I didn't even have those that the iOS updates were meant to fix. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: baking soda

baking soda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Italy
That’s definitely too close.

Did you try tapping on the screen where you want the phone to focus? Dirty windows can cause issues too, because it detects the window and focuses there instead of on the object you’re trying to photograph.

Yeah I mean that should probably solve it but when I needed quick shots on my older iPhone I never noticed that it had all this trouble focusing. Maybe I'll take both phones with me and I'll do a comparison (iphone 13 mini)

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Is anyone experiencing issues with the rear cameras focus feature?
It seems to struggle A LOT and quite often with focusing, on both close and far objects. My LiDAR sensor and camera lens are fine.
I have around one week left to return the phone and want to make sure it's not a hardware defect.
A few examples:
- Today I was in the car (not driver), saw a nice car in front of us and decided to pull my phone out for a real quick shot: the phone couldn't focus and the picture got blurry, it's like it focused on the dashboard (I did give him a 1-2 seconds time to do the autofocus thingy but it failed)
- I wanted to scan a QR and yeah I was a little close but not too close and it couldn't focus
- Cameras have a hard time focusing in general and it's a little awkward

I do have Macro mode enabled (meaning the wide angle camera is allowed to be used for macros when really close to the subjects?) and I read somewhere that it could cause issues, but wanted to see if anyone else is noticing this behavior regardless.
Thanks!
Dirty windows? So it focuses on the glass?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.