Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Hi,

Using a Sony point and shoot right now. I'm trying to take a panoramic photo but it keeps on auto exposing the images so when I join the pictures together they look terrible. Two questions:

1.) Is it possible to turn of auto exposure?

2.) Do DSLRS come with auto exposure? I never want to deal with this again.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi,

Using a Sony point and shoot right now......

1.) Is it possible to turn of auto exposure?

2.) Do DSLRS come with auto exposure? I never want to deal with this again.

1) it depends on which model Sony P&S you happen to have.

2) Yes all current DSLR have an automatic exposure system but all of them also allow you to manually set the exposure.

What you can do now is adjust the exposure and color in iPhoto, Photoshop or whatever before you merge the shots. Adjust them by eye as best you can. Then after you merge them go in with a blur or smudge tool and blend the sky color by hand

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Most cameras have a manual mode - check your manual on manual mode :)

Yes, dSLR have manual mode.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I don't know about your sony - I have a cheapo panasonic and though it does not have a manual mode it does have exposure compensation and it can be made to show me what the exposure is... so I could use the exposure compensation to get it about right. I wonder if this is possible with your camera.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
I don't know about your sony - I have a cheapo panasonic and though it does not have a manual mode it does have exposure compensation and it can be made to show me what the exposure is... so I could use the exposure compensation to get it about right. I wonder if this is possible with your camera.

Could you expand on this? Do you mean that graph thing that shows you how much light the lens is receiving? I don't think I have a manual mode. :mad:

00357_sony-w150.jpg

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
On my camera it is possible to get it to give you the aperture and shutter speed values it is using and I have exposure compensation which I can adjust to try and keep the values the same when I move it. I don't know if your camera will give you these values, or if you have exposure compensation. The histogram wouldn't help.

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
I don't think I have a manual mode. :mad:

I believe you are correct and the W150 does not have a manual mode. My wifes W170 does not.

My suggestion would be to try and do your panoramic at noon, maybe the light would be even and the camera would keep the same settings throughout.
I would at least set the settings on your camera that you can set, ISO, White Balance and flash off.

It is possible to pull off a nice panoramic with a camera without manual mode, it just takes more to do it.

See attachment.
Shot with Sony DSC-P30 1.3 MegaPixel Camera, no manual mode.

Attachments

• (1 of 1)-4.jpg
    (1 of 1)-4.jpg
    755.6 KB · Views: 87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.