Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Hey guys,

I often use my MacBook to transfer photos from my camera's sim card to my iphone via airdrop. Is there a method for automating a conversion of jpeg to HEIC to save storage space on my iphone?

Thanks in advance,

B.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Well, one can learn every day something new. 😁 macOS comes with a built-in »Convert Image«-Quick Action to easily convert HEIC images to JPEG.

IMG_5890.jpeg

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Well, one can learn every day something new. 😁 macOS comes with a built-in »Convert Image«-Quick Action to easily convert HEIC images to JPEG.

Huh, so there is! It even supports batch converting if you select a bunch of files at once and click "Convert Image" which is awesome!

For OP, I'd check this with the JPGs from your camera to see if it's worth the effort. I just tried it on a few JPGs I have and some of them it only saved ~20% (from 6MB to 5MB) whereas larger ones it saved 75% of the space (from 60MB to 15MB)! So it probably depends a lot on the settings your camera uses for saving JPGs.

Reactions: blinkie

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Wow I'm so glad I asked. It's super easy. Just an FYI for anyone else stumbling on this. I was looking to convert JPEG to HEIC and this works in just the same way as HEIC to JPEG. Select image (or images) - right click - quick actions - convert image - select the desired output.

EDIT: I don't have HEIC as an output option it's HEIF!!! I'm always getting in a muddle with them.

Last edited:

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Huh, so there is! It even supports batch converting if you select a bunch of files at once and click "Convert Image" which is awesome!

For OP, I'd check this with the JPGs from your camera to see if it's worth the effort. I just tried it on a few JPGs I have and some of them it only saved ~20% (from 6MB to 5MB) whereas larger ones it saved 75% of the space (from 60MB to 15MB)! So it probably depends a lot on the settings your camera uses for saving JPGs.
Yeah I had a look and it's a substantial saving. 7.6MB to 1.9MB.

Reactions: arkitect

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
EDIT: I don't have HEIC as an output option it's HEIF!!! I'm always getting in a muddle with them.
Raider is now Twix. 🤪 similar for HEIC and HEIF:
  • HEIF refers specifically to the image data, it was developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG).
  • HEIC includes the image data as well as other information such as metadata and editing instructions and was developed by Apple specifically for iOS devices.
HEIF is the more widely adopted format, therefore better suited for transporting images between platforms.
Any HEIC normally includes always HEIF image data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.