Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I'm surprised I cannot find a simple utility to keep bookmarks sorted automatically. My long-standing favorite, Bookmark Sorter, has been working perfectly until MacOS 11.3, but I think it's abandoned and I cannot get any response from the developer on their site or via Twitter. Its options are (were?) great: folders above bookmarks, exclude Favorites bar, and sort automatically. With 11.3, suddenly, it says it can't read my bookmarks.plist file.

I know we can manually sort folders, but the automatic maintenance was great; amazed Apple doesn't include this option. Does anyone know any alternative apps or extensions?

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Yes, thank you for that; saw those. Used to have that company's Bookmarkdog (or something like that). They rich with features (and proportionally pricey); I was hoping for just basic sorting with no additional bells and whistles....

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yeah... I used that dog whatever app also. BookMacster is not cheap, but does have some nice features. I use it to update bookmarks also. It will scan all your bookmarks and update any URL changes.

I'm not aware of anything else that will do auto sorting for you.

Reactions: srbNYC

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
What's really odd is that I see that Bookmarker Sorter will still sort my bookmarks manually, but when I have it set to Auto, it says it can't read the bookmarks.plist file

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Yes, but the Bookmark Sorter app does/did it automatically in the background. So, whenever I'd bookmark a site, voila! it would be alphabetized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.