Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metrixc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
I finally got my AVP and it is amazing. I wanted to ask you a question about sharpness that I noticed while using it. Last night I watched a movie on Disney Plus in 3D. It was amazing.

I noticed that if I tilt my head slightly down and then only look up my eyes, face textures appear more crisp/sharp. When I look up again it almost seems like there is a certain point in the middle that is a bit blurred. Could this be the glare? Also, when I move my head left and then back to the middle it seems to focus again and makes it look good.

I played around with different positions on my head with similar results.

Is this expected and related to how the AVP focuses and handles glare? It is interesting because you will only really notice it if you tilt your head down and then only move your eyes up. During the movie it almost seems to go away.

Btw. you can try it out to. Go into Disney Plus and choose the Avengers environment. On the right look at the wall next to the A sign. Try to look down and only move your eyes up.

Let me know if you experience it yourself.

Thanks everyone.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Tried to reproduced but didn't see. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Only thoughts:

1. The VP does the highest rendering at the focus position. To reduce load rendering is less precise at the edges.

2. Doesn't sound like glare which looks more like a light leak.

metrixc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Thank you @HDFan. Here is my response. If you have the time to try it, it'd be curious to know about your result.

UPDATE:
I went to the Apple store and tried a different model to exclude bad quality control. The model behaved exactly the same as mine. I had a good discussion with the Apple store employee who eventually also saw what I was describing. (They have their iPad Mini to monitor what you see)

I feel like what I noticed is a combination of the dynamic foveated rendering, the reduction of the screen door effect and maybe a bit of the pancake lens reflection.

For anyone that wants to reproduce it: Open up an article that has black on white text. (e.g. theverge.com) Zoom in that you only see the words and a couple of lines. Now move your head down while looking up with your eyes. Basically trying to look through the upper half of the Vision Pro. You will notice the color temperature change and that the text appears sharper overall. If you get your head back into normal position, you will notice a slight out of focus area in the middle of the screen. This seems to go away if you look the other way and come back to the point of focus in the middle.

All in all, it's not a defect and only noticeable in certain angles that appear sharper. We now know, that it is not a product issue but merely the way the AVP works.

It is still an awesome product that is very sharp with a great display.
Enjoy it everyone.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
1. The VP does the highest rendering at the focus position. To reduce load rendering is less precise at the edges.

This is maybe the most important remark. Our eyes do have their sharpness sensitivty at the so called "Fovea". This is the center of the Makula. All the rest is pretty blurred. We do not remark that, because this is not the spot we look at. I think the perception in a virtual environment is as different as getting new glasses/goggles (...for those who need it). You need to get accustomed it - then your new glasses are ok. But it will take some time.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If you have the time to try it, it'd be curious to know about your result.

Tried again but didn't see any changes. I wonder if it has something to do with my Zeiss inserts? The screenshot is blurry and colors are muted. On the VP the text is crisp and the colors vivid.

IMG_0177 (1).jpeg

metrixc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Tried again but didn't see any changes. I wonder if it has something to do with my Zeiss inserts? The screenshot is blurry and colors are muted. On the VP the text is crisp and the colors vivid.

View attachment 2397962
Thanks for checking. I guess it is so subtle that it’s bard to notice. I think we can conclude that it’s not an issue but just the way the AVP renders content and how we perceive it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.