Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
My trusty AW2 (in Cocoa, which I loved, but is no longer available) dropped yesterday. Onto a hard ceramic floor. Face down. Watch face glass is completely shattered... thought it would be a little tougher than that... :(

I prefer to pick one up locally if I could, but not sure about AW4 availability at my local electronics stores (no Apple Store where I am). So, my choices could be limited. There are some AW3 models floating around about $150 Cdn less than the base AW4 model prices. Apple Canada isn't listing much for refurbished AW models.

Is the AW4 worth it? Compared to what the previous generation AW3 has to offer? What do people think of the new interface offered by the AW4 where complications look like they're curved in the corners?

How is the AW4 at tracking/measuring activities such as calisthenics or martial arts?

I really like the AW, but I'd seriously consider other brands and models (Samsung Galaxy? Garmin Fenix? FitBit?). However, I understand that no other smartwatch can reply to text messages or some notifications if I have an iPhone/iOS? Is that true? No other options?

Thanks in advance.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Other than fitness, you never mention what you want your next watch to do

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Other than fitness, you never mention what you want your next watch to do
The usual things... receive emails, texts, general notifications. It would be nice to reply like you can on the AW, although 90% of the time I'm just reading, not replying.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The Apple Watch 4 is an enormous upgrade -- much bigger than typical upgrades. Apart from a refined physical design, the watch face is much larger (and can display eight complications simultaneously, with all of them capable of providing more information than before), everything is much faster, the speakers are better, Siri is loud and clear, the crown has a nice, mechanical-feeling haptic feedback, etc. Personally, I don't think there's a competing wearable that's even close, but I haven't tried them all.

Plus, your cocoa band will still fit.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Clearly if you're looking for value in price paid at the moment a Series 3 or even a Series 2 would be the cheapest of options. Series 3 would have improved internals over your Series 2. Really it depends on what you want to do with it and how much you're wiling to spend.

Series 4, in the short time I've had, it is amazing. The larger screen and speed compared to my Series 2 moved me to purchase one. What I didn't think I'd appreciate as much is the overall re-design. The way the case has been slimmed down, widened ever so slightly makes it noticeably more comfortable to wear. The screen has also been recessed into the case a bit more so it doesn't stand out as tall as Series 2. Another win. I also am enjoying the haptic feedback the crown provides.

The complications are good but they're still a work in progress. I do like the idea of having more that can be easily seen/done from the watch face in just a glance. For calisthenics, I'd say it's a similar experience as your AW 2 but there's a feature where it will auto detect your workout. I have no idea how well it works for martial arts.

In short, this version feels much more refined than my previous Series 2.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
The Apple Watch 4 is an enormous upgrade -- much bigger than typical upgrades. Apart from a refined physical design, the watch face is much larger (and can display eight complications simultaneously, with all of them capable of providing more information than before), everything is much faster, the speakers are better, Siri is loud and clear, the crown has a nice, mechanical-feeling haptic feedback, etc. Personally, I don't think there's a competing wearable that's even close, but I haven't tried them all.

Plus, your cocoa band will still fit.
Thanks. To be honest, I didn't think there would be THAT much endorsement for it!
[doublepost=1540827525][/doublepost]
The complications are good but they're still a work in progress. I do like the idea of having more that can be easily seen/done from the watch face in just a glance. For calisthenics, I'd say it's a similar experience as your AW 2 but there's a feature where it will auto detect your workout. I have no idea how well it works for martial arts.

In short, this version feels much more refined than my previous Series 2.

Thanks. Obviously if the going gets rough during any training (sparring or such), I'd take the watch off. But there are a lot drills and light or non-contact activities during martial arts (even weight lifting) that don't quite fit into a standardized category. I noticed, however, that on the Apple website one of the ads shows woman shadow boxing so I was wondering if the AW could now pick up that sort of movement accurately for workouts.

Reactions: staggerlee41

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Thanks. To be honest, I didn't think there would be THAT much endorsement for it!

Honestly, I was surprised myself, as I've become used to fairly incremental tech upgrades. This one, though, seems like a very comprehensive upgrade that is noticeable in big and small ways. If I were you, I would take advantage of Apple's return policy to try the new watch for yourself.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd also add this. If you liked your Series 2 and found it capable of doing most everything you wanted it to, I'd be inclined to believe you would love Series 4. Another added benefit of Series 4 is the 64 bit processor. I'd have to think it will handle updates easier/longer than previous versions. Being able to use previous bands is wonderful and a very smart decision by Apple. While I don't have experience with anything other than Series 2, this one sure feels like the most significant update to Apple watch since the release, whereas others were more incremental. I suppose time will tell.

If you are able to, go have a look at one in a store.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I'd also add this. If you liked your Series 2 and found it capable of doing most everything you wanted it to, I'd be inclined to believe you would love Series 4. Another added benefit of Series 4 is the 64 bit processor. I'd have to think it will handle updates easier/longer than previous versions. Being able to use previous bands is wonderful and a very smart decision by Apple. While I don't have experience with anything other than Series 2, this one sure feels like the most significant update to Apple watch since the release, whereas others were more incremental. I suppose time will tell.

If you are able to, go have a look at one in a store.

I'd love to.... but there is literally not one single copy available anywhere in my city and I contacted several outlets. So, I guess it's online if I want one. Or else a Fitbit. ;)

hipsheik

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
The Apple Watch 4 is an enormous upgrade -- much bigger than typical upgrades.

Yes, it's a much bigger upgrade than the reviews let on.

I'm coming from a S3, and my S4 44mm makes the S3 feel unfinished.

The S4 is just fluid and responsive. It feels like a cohesive and complete product. And it's going to be my iPhone replacement.

The S3 could never take that leap during the time I was using it.

But if I were just going to use the watch as a fitness tracker, I would get the S3 38mm. I prefer the smaller size when working out.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The OP seems concerned somewhat about the price, maybe perhaps wait until the holidays and Black Friday approaches, there might be some _slight_ discount on the sport model, or, if you purchased the full retail price, try it for 14 days and see if it’s for you, if it’s not, return it. Apple encourages this with their return policy.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Lo and behold... my local Best Buy had a shipment of AW4 come in, so I picked one up. Let's see how it works, but I'm back in business. Part of the reason for my angst is that my health insurance gives me discounts if I have a healthy lifestyle so that means some sort of tracking of exercise, etc. I could use just about anything, but if I'm going to spend some money, I might as well make it worth the purchase.

Thanks for the input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.