Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jervasio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2016
Hello everyone,
I've tested the apple watch series 2 and 3 and I saw a nice speed improvement on the series 3 over the 2.. HOWEVER, most apps still take time to load (aka aren't open instantly), which ruins a bit the experience for me imo. Even when I opened the settings on the watch, it didn't open instantly (the calendar opened instantly however for example).
I want a watch experience where the apps open instantly... Do you think that's possible with the current hardware with a software update/improvement? Or will only be possible with the next hardware update in AW 4?

Cheers!

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I think watchOS is fairly lean as is so although I'm sure they might be able to make SOME optimizations I wouldn't plan on major improvements, that takes new hardware. You can see how far they have come from series 0 to series 3 so in a few years I would expect iPhone like performance (in terms of speed of launching, not functionality.)

Reactions: Jervasio

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Hello everyone,
I've tested the apple watch series 2 and 3 and I saw a nice speed improvement on the series 3 over the 2.. HOWEVER, most apps still take time to load (aka aren't open instantly), which ruins a bit the experience for me imo. Even when I opened the settings on the watch, it didn't open instantly (the calendar opened instantly however for example).
I want a watch experience where the apps open instantly... Do you think that's possible with the current hardware with a software update/improvement? Or will only be possible with the next hardware update in AW 4?

Cheers!
I believe the current software is optimized for the current processor and will not get faster with subsequent updates so, you probably have to wait for the next new processor to get more speed than the current watch.

Jervasio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2016
I believe the current software is optimized for the current processor and will not get faster with subsequent updates so, you probably have to wait for the next new processor to get more speed than the current watch.

I think you are right, but I don't know.. since the watch is new, it could be even more optimized to reduce the launching speeds, but if it's already optimized, I guess I'll better wait for the AW4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.