Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awputra

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Hello,

I am a newbie here. I have been following macrumors forum but just created an account to ask some questions about Apple Watch. I have a fitbit charge HR and have been using it everyday since the first day I bought it. I am not sure should I upgrade to AW2? Anyone in this forum that has both devices? Which one you prefer and why?

I am also a swimmer and want to take advantage of AW2's swim proof. However, many articles in the internet stated that it is not totally "water proof." Any opinions and input are highly appreciated.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Folks who are way more dedicated at comparing data than I am claim that the heart reatenminitor in the AW isn't as good as Fitbit. That said, did Apple change anything? They didn't mention it but we also don't have the series two in our hands.

As far as waterproofing, standard swimming you will be fine barring any hardware faults. Diving (both scuba and jumping from up high into a body of water), skiing, etc aren't recommended.

Niacchus

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2015
I have both and have worn both every day for the past year. (Well the AW Series 0 and the Charge HR) I have just ordered a AW Series 2 which arrives on Friday.

I really like both.

The Charge HR I prefer the health aspects, the automatic tracking, sleep tracking and the overall app. I find the app easier to view my HR data I like how it logs my exercise, the UI is better. I wish it was waterproof though as I love swimming, Not sure why the Charge 2 is not - it would be perfect for me if it was. Im not upgrading from the Charge HR this year because of this reason. Hopefully the Charge 3 is... I also dislike the custom charging cable for the fitbit.

The AW is great for notifications, and basic complications such as weather etc. I still use it for exercise - I find the HR is more accurate than the Charge HR (which often does not show the HR in middle of the exercise). AW only takes HR reading only every 15 minutes - unless you are in exercise mode. If the AW had sleep tracking and made the health app UI/UX better then I would only have one device. Im unsure why Apple Watch can't have automatic exercise tracking like the fitbit does. Unfortunately I found 3rd party Apps useless on the original AW - hopefully watch OS3 and the improved chip fixes this in AW Series 2. I bought the original AW fully knowing its a 1st get device, I upgraded because expecting a big improvement in speed, for swimming, also interested to see the 2x brighter screen.

I think both devices are great for different reasons. Eventually both devices will improve and reach the level that I only need to wear 1 of them. I expect that will ultimately be the AW due to the integration with the Apple ecosystem. But I think thats a few years away yet.

awputra

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
@Niacchus
wow thanks for your explanation. I was thinking of wearing both AW and fitbit, but I think it's kinda weird. It is also interesting to see whether we can see our heart rate when we are swimming with AW2.

But the main reason for me buying AW2 is that they promise this is a good watch for swimmer as I was a competitive swimmer. Might wait 1 or 2 weeks until people review its swim proof. :)

Niacchus

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2015
@awputra
Some people have commented when they see I'm wearing both but I don't see it any different to someone wearing a Rolex (or any other watch) and a fitbit.

I think I read that the watch is going to be locked when swimming so screen will be off. However in the promo shots it shows the watch screen being on. Check out www.instabeat.me if you want a heads up display in your googles and you can see your HR and laps.

Im confident that the watch will be swim proof, lots of people use their AW1 for swimming. :)

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I also have been wearing both (charge HR left wrist, AW right wrist). A long time Fitbit user I thought I'd be able to ditch Fitbit, but I missed the challenges. The new share your stats on the AW still is nowhere near as challenging/social/fun as a good workweek hustle!
I've been contemplating buying the flex2, more because the Fitbit bangles look less obvious and bulky than the Tory burch bangles for flex 1. The only goal I'm really looking at on my Fitbit is getting my step goal - I find closing the rings on the AW more of a challenge.

awputra

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
@awputra
Some people have commented when they see I'm wearing both but I don't see it any different to someone wearing a Rolex (or any other watch) and a fitbit.

I think I read that the watch is going to be locked when swimming so screen will be off. However in the promo shots it shows the watch screen being on. Check out www.instabeat.me if you want a heads up display in your googles and you can see your HR and laps.

Im confident that the watch will be swim proof, lots of people use their AW1 for swimming. :)
whoa are you series people are swimming with AW1? I thought it has speakers that are not water proof?

anyway what color of AW 1 and 2 you buy? I'm still deciding between aluminum silver, gold or space grey.. I wanna find the one that i can wear for work, casual, and formal. I'm thinking i will buy AW bands from amazon since there's a lot of cheap options there lol.
[doublepost=1473747438][/doublepost]
I also have been wearing both (charge HR left wrist, AW right wrist). A long time Fitbit user I thought I'd be able to ditch Fitbit, but I missed the challenges. The new share your stats on the AW still is nowhere near as challenging/social/fun as a good workweek hustle!
I've been contemplating buying the flex2, more because the Fitbit bangles look less obvious and bulky than the Tory burch bangles for flex 1. The only goal I'm really looking at on my Fitbit is getting my step goal - I find closing the rings on the AW more of a challenge.
yes! i love the fitbit app and im not sure what the fitness app in AW look like. I think I should buy an AW2 and try myself :)

Niacchus

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2015
whoa are you series people are swimming with AW1? I thought it has speakers that are not water proof?

anyway what color of AW 1 and 2 you buy? I'm still deciding between aluminum silver, gold or space grey.. I wanna find the one that i can wear for work, casual, and formal. I'm thinking i will buy AW bands from amazon since there's a lot of cheap options there lol.

Yes, although I have not swum in mine.

For AW1 I got 38mm sport (was all I could get pre order that arrived in a decent time), for AW2 got 42mm aluminium silver white band, and bought an ocean blue band separately for it. I see myself upgrading each release so going for the aluminium over the SS to keep cost somewhat reasonable. I like the fluoroelastomer bands - very comfy.

I found the silver aluminium wore well, not sure if the space grey would show scratches?

awputra

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Yes, although I have not swum in mine.

For AW1 I got 38mm sport (was all I could get pre order that arrived in a decent time), for AW2 got 42mm aluminium white band, and bought an ocean blue band separately for it. I see myself upgrading each release so going for the aluminium over the SS to keep cost somewhat reasonable. I like the fluoroelastomer bands - very comfy.

How about you?
not sure, but most likely i will get either space grey or silver aluminum. i'm not gonna spend extra money for their authentic bands. will just buy it from amazon since im going to use it for swimming a lot and afraid that chlorine will give bad effect toward the bands.

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
Long time Fitbit and Apple Watch user. I recently upgraded to the Charge 2 and am very impressed with what Fitbit has done with this device. Really wish it was waterproof though. I'm quite torn on whether to upgrade my Apple Watch to series 2 for the waterproofing. I rarely swim myself, only when I take the kids to the local pool. Add to this that currently IMO, Fitbit app blows Apple out of the water regarding statistic gathering and social interaction through Facebook or other friends via the Fitbit app challenges. Though the changes to Watch OS3 look to attempt to change this with the addition of sharing activities with friends.

I think the question to ask yourself if you are debating between the two and only buying one is, "Do I need notification access for texting, calls, social media, etc.?" If the answer is yes then Apple Watch is the choice as Fitbit lags behind in that.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Long time Fitbit and Apple Watch user. I recently upgraded to the Charge 2 and am very impressed with what Fitbit has done with this device. Really wish it was waterproof though. I'm quite torn on whether to upgrade my Apple Watch to series 2 for the waterproofing. I rarely swim myself, only when I take the kids to the local pool. Add to this that currently IMO, Fitbit app blows Apple out of the water regarding statistic gathering and social interaction through Facebook or other friends via the Fitbit app challenges. Though the changes to Watch OS3 look to attempt to change this with the addition of sharing activities with friends.

I think the question to ask yourself if you are debating between the two and only buying one is, "Do I need notification access for texting, calls, social media, etc.?" If the answer is yes then Apple Watch is the choice as Fitbit lags behind in that.

I'd ask if you are just after notifications, the higher up Fitbit models would be better. If you're after actionable notifications (replying to texts, ticking items off your to do list), the AW is a better fit.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion

Just a tip, in the Fitbit app you can choose to use the steps on your phone (or watch in this case) and an still use the app, no Fitbit needed. This would allow you to still take part in challenges. I did this for quite some time.

Reactions: kilcher

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Water proof is such a misunderstood term. Technically, no device is ever 100% water proof, some are just more water resistant than others. The AW1 was rated as water resistant to 1 meter for 30 minutes, so it was okay to take for short swims. The new AW2 is rated for 50 meters and I forget how long, so okay for longer and more intensive swims.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Just a tip, in the Fitbit app you can choose to use the steps on your phone (or watch in this case) and an still use the app, no Fitbit needed. This would allow you to still take part in challenges. I did this for quite some time.

That is awesome, thanks! Like most of Apple's social offerings, watch is lacking when it comes to friends, challenges, etc. Fitbit looks to be much better and I know a fair number of people who are active Fitbit users.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
That's interesting, I did try and do this early on when i was down to the watch only and I struggled. I will look at this again, thanks!

WombatWattBike

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Cardiff, Wales - UK
I used to have a Fitbit Surge but had more problems than I expected. Heart rate wasn't accurate and steps weren't always recognised either. I've just sold a Garmin in anticipation for the new AW as it is now swim proof - can't wait! I'll be continuing to use a heart rate strap for accurate readings, I think it may work in the pool but not sure. I can't wait to get my AW! If Apple say you can swim with the watch surely we are covered for any problems arising from a swim?

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
I'd ask if you are just after notifications, the higher up Fitbit models would be better. If you're after actionable notifications (replying to texts, ticking items off your to do list), the AW is a better fit.

Exactly. I read a good review by someone from Business Insider today that captured my thoughts exactly. The author had tried the Charge 2 for a week and after thinking it over it made her want the actionable notifications of the Apple Watch. I guess the question then is do you give up battery life for actionable notifications? In my case, I ordered the Series 2 Apple Watch and will be returning the Fitbit Charge 2.

Reactions: Aniseedvan

awputra

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Water proof is such a misunderstood term. Technically, no device is ever 100% water proof, some are just more water resistant than others. The AW1 was rated as water resistant to 1 meter for 30 minutes, so it was okay to take for short swims. The new AW2 is rated for 50 meters and I forget how long, so okay for longer and more intensive swims.
your explanation is super helpful! thanks!

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
So after realizing the fitbit charge 2 came out, I went and bought it. It has a higher profile than my apple watch 0. I went for a bike ride this morning and I registered 0 steps on the fitbit. So although I went for a 2 mile bike ride before work, my fitbit is calling me lazy :) I also joined a gym that opens next month and has an awesome pool and plan to start swimming.

I think the fitbit charge 2 is more comfortable than the original fitbit charge hr but I think I'll be returning it. If your primary goal is a watch which tracks activity including walking and running, I think it is a good option. I like having a watch that will control my music and also be able to bike and swimming.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I think the fitbit charge 2 is more comfortable than the original fitbit charge hr but I think I'll be returning it. If your primary goal is a watch which tracks activity including walking and running, I think it is a good option. I like having a watch that will control my music and also be able to bike and swimming.

The garmin vivoactive can do all of this; track swimming, has GPS, hooks into cycling power meters, plus you get notifications and music controls.

PowerGala

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2016
Has anyone ever experienced any carpel tunnel pain associated with the Apple Watch? I had to stop wearing the Fitbit because it hurt like hell.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Has anyone ever experienced any carpel tunnel pain associated with the Apple Watch? I had to stop wearing the Fitbit because it hurt like hell.
Never had any pains from using anything else to that extent, but towards the end of the day any other watch was hurting my wrist.
I've got small wrists/hands (can fit into child's gloves) and that bone that sticks out on your wrist is prominent on mine.
I can honestly say the Apple Watch is the most comfortable watch I've ever had. 90% of the time worn with the black sports strap (38SS).

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
The garmin vivoactive can do all of this; track swimming, has GPS, hooks into cycling power meters, plus you get notifications and music controls.

I actually like the vivoactive, for health insurance reasons, I need something that can feed into fitbit. Is there a way to get vivoactive to do this? I figured out how to do it with an Apple Watch.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I actually like the vivoactive, for health insurance reasons, I need something that can feed into fitbit. Is there a way to get vivoactive to do this? I figured out how to do it with an Apple Watch.
I never managed it but I still need info on how you did it with the AW, I tried and failed last night!
I suspect Garmin connect can push steps into Apple health, and then from there into Fitbit somehow?

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I never managed it but I still need info on how you did it with the AW, I tried and failed last night!
I suspect Garmin connect can push steps into Apple health, and then from there into Fitbit somehow?

In the fitbit app, you add your phone as a device and it should be able to upload them from apple health. I got it to work with the AW but it took a bit of fiddling to get it to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.