Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Soon as I updated my Apple Watch 3 to watchOS7, I could no longer auto-unlock my MacBook Pro (2018) or my iMac (2019). Both are running latest versions of catalina.

Was also having the problem on my AW3 that it was no longer mapping runs in the fitness app.

So per recent public advisories, I reinstalled my phone and my watch from scratch. This seems to have solved the mapping issue on my runs, but it is not unlocking the catalina Macs.

Is there a solution to this, or do I just have to wait for Big Sur?

Thanks,

Nick

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Did you try turning off that option in System Preferences then turning it back on? The updates may have made something look different to the Mac.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
Had the same issue with my series 5. I found this online and it seemed to work - shift+Option+BT in menubar->debug->Reset all connected Apple-Devices to factory settings

bobjonesco

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Perth
Same problem here. "Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch."

Apple Watch SE. I reset it, and paired it with a new MacBook Air today (didn't work on my previous MBP either). Tried the suggestion above by Alicia1, also didn't work.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Did you try turning off that option in System Preferences then turning it back on? The updates may have made something look different to the Mac.
Thanks. That option is not actually currently on, on either of my systems. I don't remember if it was ever on, since the update, but its not on now.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Had the same issue with my series 5. I found this online and it seemed to work - shift+Option+BT in menubar->debug->Reset all connected Apple-Devices to factory settings
Thank you for the suggestion. But it did not appear to work.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
FYI: just updated to the new WatchOS 7.0.2, and no change in the status of the issue.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
Thank you for the suggestion. But it did not appear to work.

Bugger, worked perfectly for me. Also tried the other method that some people have had luck with but didn't work for me.

Reactions: NervousFish2

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Bugger, worked perfectly for me. Also tried the other method that some people have had luck with but didn't work for me.

Will try this

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
At risk of sounding like a level 1 tech support, can I assume you've rebooted the laptop? Reason I ask is my watch wouldn't unlock my Macbook Pro after I installed watch OS7 on my series 3, but after rebooting the laptop it "just worked".

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
At risk of sounding like a level 1 tech support, can I assume you've rebooted the laptop? Reason I ask is my watch wouldn't unlock my Macbook Pro after I installed watch OS7 on my series 3, but after rebooting the laptop it "just worked".
No worries! I'm down to try everything, honestly. But yes, have tried reboots. Have tried all the stuff on Alicia1's suggested thread at this rate, too. It ain't budging. At this rate, I'm thinking I'll hold off exploring further until Big Sur is out. If the problem persists at that point, I'll take it up with Apple. On Alicia1's thread, there are some ppl saying its a known bug, and apple engineers are working on it.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
And all of a sudden, it works! No idea why. But I did the stuff at Alicia1's link about 3 hours ago, and it wasn't working. Then went out to do some errands. Came back 3 hours later, and boom.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
I have a S6 that works without problem unlocking my laptop and iMac however I also have a S5 that flat out refuses to work with either. Also I can't get my credit card to connect to Apple Pay, despite it working fine on the S6 also.

Reactions: NervousFish2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.