Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifereinspired

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Hi,

I have an Apple Watch Series 6 (SS) that it’s pristine condition. However, the battery is vastly diminished. AW6 says Battery Health is at 76% and battery service is needed. After an initial run around from Apple Support, they agreed that the battery does need to be replaced.

I have an active AppleCare+ plan in place so from what I understand, the replacement will be $0. We don’t live near an Apple Store so we only have 3 options:
1) Local service (won’t know till tomorrow if they replace batteries on site or simply mail to Apple…I believe the latter)
2) Apple Express Replacement
3) Mail my AW6 to Apple for battery replacement

I’ve never yet had to have any Apple product serviced and wondered which service option people typically choose. I assumed that “Express Replacement” sent refurb units but the Apple Support Team member said all replacements are new. Reading the forums here, that appears to be patently false.

My watch is in really nice condition. Will an Express Replacement have a new casing/glass or do users often get replacements that are scratched up and generally looking worse than the existing unit? Secondly, with a month-to-month AC+ plan, will the new watch still be covered? Any experiences or advice would be super helpful. Thanks in advance!!

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hi,

I have an Apple Watch Series 6 (SS) that it’s pristine condition. However, the battery is vastly diminished. AW6 says Battery Health is at 76% and battery service is needed. After an initial run around from Apple Support, they agreed that the battery does need to be replaced.

I have an active AppleCare+ plan in place so from what I understand, the replacement will be $0. We don’t live near an Apple Store so we only have 3 options:
1) Local service (won’t know till tomorrow if they replace batteries on site or simply mail to Apple…I believe the latter)
2) Apple Express Replacement
3) Mail my AW6 to Apple for battery replacement

I’ve never yet had to have any Apple product serviced and wondered which service option people typically choose. I assumed that “Express Replacement” sent refurb units but the Apple Support Team member said all replacements are new. Reading the forums here, that appears to be patently false.

My watch is in really nice condition. Will an Express Replacement have a new casing/glass or do users often get replacements that are scratched up and generally looking worse than the existing unit? Secondly, with a month-to-month AC+ plan, will the new watch still be covered? Any experiences or advice would be super helpful. Thanks in advance!!
I'd do the Express replacement, they'll send you a refurb and a kit to send in yours, there will be a hold on the original cost of your AW6 on your credit card ... this is in the US and I believe Canada, not sure how it might work in other countries.
Apple does not replace batteries, they'll give you a refurb. If you have a local shop who'd replace your battery - stay away from that, AC+ is a much better deal

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've received a number of Express Replacement devices over the years. While they may be refurbished, they're indistinguishable from new products. The only thing that's different is that they don't come in retail packaging - they come in plain packaging. That's the only difference. So whether the replacement device you get is technically new or not, don't worry - it will be absolutely pristine when it arrives.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
I recently did an express replacement for my AW 7 Titanium. I got a pristine watch when I did this. It seems to be the most hassle free option. There was a bit of an issue where someone forgot to include a label. However, it was easily sorted. Seems to be the easiest option.

Reactions: lifereinspired

lifereinspired

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Thanks so much for the replies. I figured Apple is likely really good about not sending back a unit that looks worse than what a person sends in, but not having had to have repair/replacement before, I wasn’t sure. I also didn’t realize that they don’t go ahead and just replace the battery in the actual unit that one sends in, should one choose the service where one sends in their existing watch for replacement. So, that is super helpful to know as well.

Definitely sounds like the Express Replacement is the overall easiest/fastest option and leaves basically no down-time without a device. I really appreciate all the info and help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.