Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Hey gang, I'm about to take the plunge and plunk down some serious $ on a polarizing filter. A question, and then some options:

Since you need to adjust the polarizer, can you still use a lens hood?

All from B&H

1. 77mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Coated (MC) Glass Filter ($145)
2. 77mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Coated (MC) Slim Glass Filter ($165)
3. 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Glass Filter ($165)
4. 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Slim Glass Filter ($175)

Variables: Kaesemann filters are sealed for harsh conditions and the slim line helps with wide lenses but won't accept a lens cap.

Since the cost difference is negligible between the 4 options, do you guys have any recommendations?

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I have both 1 and 2, which are about a year old. At the time I recall seeing a wider price difference compared with the Kaesemann. Since I don't use polarizers a whole lot, I elected for the cheaper ones (sorry...the less expensive ones).

Yes you can use the lens hood with the filter attached. Whether you can easily rotate the filter with the hood attached is a question that can be answered easily even now...just put on your lens hood and see if you can insert your hand and touch the rim of the lens.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hey gang, I'm about to take the plunge and plunk down some serious $ on a polarizing filter. A question, and then some options:

All from B&H

Variables: Kaesemann filters are sealed for harsh conditions and the slim line helps with wide lenses but won't accept a lens cap.

Since the cost difference is negligible between the 4 options, do you guys have any recommendations?

Slim polarizers don't vignette as much on very wide lenses - when it doubt choose the slim version. You'll have the filter for years, I'd go with the extra $10 for the Kaesmann version.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I heard that the Kaesemann versions used to be a lot more expensive too.

The only hesitancy with the slim version is that they will not hold a lens cap. I guess I leave my hoods on most of the time anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I decided in favor of the Kaesemann Slim version since it was only a few bucks more.

I'm going to Mexico, Greece, and South Africa so hopefully I'll get some shots to post!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I heard that the Kaesemann versions used to be a lot more expensive too.

The only hesitancy with the slim version is that they will not hold a lens cap. I guess I leave my hoods on most of the time anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.

Get one of the sack type lens covers if you're worried about it.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I decided in favor of the Kaesemann Slim version since it was only a few bucks more.

I'm going to Mexico, Greece, and South Africa so hopefully I'll get some shots to post!
Lucky dawg! The polarizer will come in handy if you're photographing the islands of Greece or any coast. Use them also in high elevations and to darken the skies.

I posted some test shots with the B+W polarizer some time ago. Here are the nitty gritty details.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

All from B&H

Can you still use the hood? With enough effort yes, you can do anything. But reasonably, if it is a thread-on round hood then you rotate the hood and the hood turns the filter. You can buy a 77mm rubber lense hood for $12. or less They work well.
Always turn the hood to the left to adjust it and it will stay on good. Even if you alrady have a hood, get a thread n one if you want to use it with the filter.

If you are working on a tripod skip the hood and shade the llens with your hat, news paper or whatever and check that the sun's shadow completely covers the lens.

You will quickly find way people like a lens that does not rotate the filter ring when it focuses. I try to buy lenses with stationary filter rings

Which to get:
Thin only if you will use it on an ultra wide angle lens. Think ones some time vignette. If you don't need thin don't get it. Kaesemann? I doubt you will notice. Even the muti-coatings, I'd buy them but I doubt I notice because I would not be using the Pol. filter into a bright light source. Well some times I use then just to shoot through glass

But would you be shooting into the sun with a pol. filter?

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
I hope that you know that this filter reduce your esposure by a bit more than 2 full stop...

As obvious as it is, I just figured that out last week! I always used it outside in bright light so it was that obvious...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I hope that you know that this filter reduce your esposure by a bit more than 2 full stop...

As obvious as it is, I just figured that out last week! I always used it outside in bright light so it was that obvious...

Yeah, not enough notice is given to that fact in the descriptions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.