Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
I guess I will come back to iPhone from Android, but I have a question about photos that is one of the features the I mostly use. I also have an iMac and a MacBook.

On Android space is not a big issue since is possible to use SD cards, I have S7 Edge and I'm gonna get an iPhone 6 32Gb off contract till iPhone 8 will be revealed and then chose what to get on contract.

Now on my S7 I have 32Gb internal + 32Gb external memory but internal memory is used about 20Gb and external about 11Gb almost all of this space is used for photos.

On Android all my photos are automatically backup to google photos in standard resolution ( free of charge ).
I guess that I can do the same thing on iPhone with google photos app.

With iCloud photo stream it should keep my last 1000 photo synced on iCloud and that would be enough for me.

The issue is with photo on device, is it possible to make iPhone keep on the the device a copy of last 1 / 2 years of photos and automatically sync the rest with iPhoto and then delete them from the phone?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
You could consider optimize storage in iCloud photos. This way you keep all photos accessible on your phone. Only recently taken and recently viewed photos are stored on device in full resolution. The rest are low res until viewed. iOS should also swap full res to low res if you need space for something else. Everything is always backed up in full res in iCloud. Deleting a photo from on device deletes to from all devices including iCloud. Deleted photos gets moved to a trashcan and stay there for 30 days before getting deleted completely.

al404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
is not possible to sync and backup the photo older than X days on Photos on mac?
I don't really need to have all my photos with me but I also don't want to backup and delete them manually

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Ever considered external drives? Look up the sandisk iXpand,it's the closest to an SD card you get with an iPhone.

Please explain how that would help him? He can do the same thing with his pc putting it on the drive won't help his cause because you can't get it to the iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.