Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edavt04

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Hey guys!

I run my time machine once a month to back up my data. And I have Google Photos Backup in the cloud.
At the end of each year I also export my iPhoto (yes, I have an old Mac)into external hard drive. However I noticed that once I transfer my iPhoto library onto the external hard drive, I can NOT change the names of folders, etc, it's like iPhoto on external drive is locked. I can't transfer pics from that external hard drive to a PC, either.

I had another idea for this: at the end of each year (I have folders in iPhoto organized chronologically, month by month using "smart folder" tool) drag each month onto the desktop and then from there on external hard drive. This way I will have neatly organized yearly/monthly folders that can be accessed and transferred with ease. Good idea?

How do you back up/organize your external hard drive?

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I don't. My backups are mirror images of what's on my Mac. Not sure why you would want different other than you're not satisfied with what's on your Mac. In which case, edit/change there.

I'm assuming you're using a managed library. Just back up the library.

You might try Get Info>ignore permissions on this drive and see if some of your issues go away. If that's the cas you have a permissions problem.

I would also consider more frequent backups.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Every time I exit Lightroom it does a backup of the catalog on the internal SSD. The library of documents, music, videos, and photos all sit on an external RAID 0 set. Time Machine backs up the entire file system.

Reactions: xoAnna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.