Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
I’m aware Time Machine can back up external drives, for example one which stores my iTunes library, large video files and documents which I don’t want to keep locally on my MacBook. Time Machine is set to back up my Mac and that external drive to another larger capacity portable drive.

Say, when I go out with my Mac along with the portable drive, with the intention have TM backup every hour. Am I required to bring the other external drive to for TM to work? Or TM will just backup Mac, and then backup my external drive as well when I come home and reconnect it?

Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Best solution for backing up an external drive (particularly a data drive that is not a boot drive) is to use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to "clone" the source to the backup.

For all practical purposes the backup is an EXACT copy of the source drive -- indistinguishable.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Best solution for backing up an external drive (particularly a data drive that is not a boot drive) is to use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to "clone" the source to the backup.

For all practical purposes the backup is an EXACT copy of the source drive -- indistinguishable.

Yes, I do have CarbonCopyCloner as my alternative additional backup solution, for my MacBook and external data drive, to a much larger capacity external drive. I use CCC in addition to TimeMachine because I've read and personally had the odd issue with TM being finicky at the boot recovery / restoring my Mac.

I agree that CCC makes restoring a drive from the clone created an easy process.

Yep... that is exactly what it will do.

Oh cool, that's great. Thank you.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.