Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hooly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
I leave my images as referenced files, and I back them up routinely to two external hard drives.

I also back up my aperture vault to keep a track of changes.

However, I have a weird problem that I can't find a solution anywhere. The last time I tried to recover my Aperture library (after doing an Erase and Install), when I tried to use the Vault back-up, it couldn't find the files because their location was on my (now deleted) hard disk. I had put the files back in home>pictures, but Aperture seemed unable to recognise them because this was a 'new' home>pictures.

So the last time I did a re-install I ended up exporting all my projects as hi-res TIFFS and re-importing from scratch... far from ideal.

Can anyone help me here??

Cheers,

K.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
I leave my images as referenced files, and I back them up routinely to two external hard drives.

I also back up my aperture vault to keep a track of changes.

However, I have a weird problem that I can't find a solution anywhere. The last time I tried to recover my Aperture library (after doing an Erase and Install), when I tried to use the Vault back-up, it couldn't find the files because their location was on my (now deleted) hard disk. I had put the files back in home>pictures, but Aperture seemed unable to recognise them because this was a 'new' home>pictures.

So the last time I did a re-install I ended up exporting all my projects as hi-res TIFFS and re-importing from scratch... far from ideal.

Can anyone help me here??

Cheers,

K.
Once you rebuilt the drive, you should have used the "File/Manage Referenced Files" dialog to reset the links. While you can often do this globally for all projects, you might have had to each project individually on a new HD.

hooly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Once you rebuilt the drive, you should have used the "File/Manage Referenced Files" dialog to reset the links. While you can often do this globally for all projects, you might have had to each project individually on a new HD.
Ok, thanks. I thought "File/Manage Referenced Files" was only at the individual image level.

Anyhoo, since I posted I devised and implemented a new strategy... I have consolidated all my masters into the Aperture library. It's something I have been holding off from doing because it 'locks' my masters into the Aperture format. But after (a lot of!) reflection, I rarely do further work on an image once it is more than a few weeks old, so I will continue to do back-up exports in TIFF/jpg format on my various external drives, plus backing up the Aperture library.

Thanks for your response. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.