Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
These past 7 or 8 months I have been exclusively using my iPad after my old iMac gave up the ghost. I used to use Photos on the Mac with everything synced through the iCloud Photo Library and my basic arrangement hasn’t changed - all my pics come from my iPhone and sync with my library where I edit / view them on my iPad.

I have backups of my Mac’s Photo library but as it’s not certain i will get another Mac, I would like to back everything up from my iCloud Photo Library to an external drive connected to my iPad. So I’m looking for the best way to do this, especially as I have 60,000+ pics and videos.

In iOS Photos you cannot select every item and if you do it through iCloud.com in a browser you can only do a thousand at a time (and they have to be manually selected anyway). There is the added issue that even if I could select everything, the download times are going to cause all manner of problems and likely hangs.

I’d be interested to know if anyone has a best work around for this?

Thanks,

C.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Get an SSD like a Samsung T7 and FileBrowser Professional, open from there your Photos library, select all and copy everything to it. ?

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Thanks. I’ve downloaded that and taken a quick look at it and it seems as good an option as I’ve seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.