Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPollio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2022
Hello all!
I am looking for an external BT keyboard to use with my 2019 MBP 16 inch. I use a 30” ACD and 23” ACD vertically mounted, and link the MBP in clamshell from a vertical Henge Dock tethered to a Henge Stone Pro for more desk space/cable management.

I am “in need” of a backlit keyboard (with 10-key) as the office space/studio I work in remains dim.
[Why the peripheral Apple Magic Keyboard for MacBook remains un-illuminated remains a mystery for another thread —] …
*The Logitech MX keys for Mac incorporates three buttons that will switch between multiple monitors/other displays (not just Bluetooth devices like a BT speaker, etc).
I am finding it difficult to discover if the recently released Matias illuminated 10-key keyboard can switch to another display with the “touch of a button” as the Logitech MX.

I don’t have any particular sensitivity to the sounds/clicks of a keyboard (in fact the keyboard clicks send an audible message to co-workers that I am actually working) and even after extended bouts of typing on a dissertation, I never truly experienced any problems with the mechanism by which the keys are depressed. Those aren’t deal breakers for me personally.

*I like the dual battery of the Matias but I am not sure (haven’t had a product to test) if the Function keys can be remapped on the Mathias for multiple display switching (through Maestro?) or of the keystrokes for multiple display switching.

Any users have insight or preference for a backlit, wireless (BT/usb connector), 10-key keyboard with ability to switch displays quickly/without fumbling for the mouse in a dim room? … (I know… first world problems??‍???‍♂️)

Thanks ever so much (new post-er, long time reader) ✌?

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
I actually just purchased the MX Keys, and love it. I replaced the Satechi bluetooth keyboard that I was using previously. There was nothing wrong with it, but, having purchased the Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac a few days prior, I wanted them to match. Keyboard travel is great and its a pretty quiet keyboard, and I had no problems seeing the keys clearly with the backlight enabled (I do not use backlight personally, but wanted to test it out).

Parsec

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2007
N53 E004
The keyboard is very good, but the backlight turns off way too fast and there is no setting to change this. It even turns off while I have my hands on the keyboard while not using any keys for 10 seconds or so. The detection of having the hands on the keyboard is unreliable in those situations.

The battery-life is not as advertised. This is probably why you cannot change the setting of the backlight since it would make it worse. I would still prefer to have this setting and accept less time between charges.

Occasionally it registers two key-presses where I only did one.

The keys are slightly too far apart for my tastes making me having to adjust to the keyboard considerably. Then after typing for a while on this keyboard I have to adjust again to the MacBook Pro keyboard. It's the first keyboard that I've had causing me to have to adjust to this extent.

Overall I would recommend it despite the shortcomings

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
Another fan of the MX Keys. I work remotely & use it along with the MX Anywhere mouse to switch from my work computer to my home computer before/after work hours.

Just want to be clear though, it doens't really switch between screens that I know of, it switches between computers.

Battery life for me seems to be about 2 weeks. I recharge every Monday night & it is almost always at 50% when I recharge.

Agree with the above that the backlight turns off pretty quickly, but a wave of the hand over it and it lights back up. I wish the timing were adjustable, but it's still a pretty great keyboard for me.

I've had some Matias keyboards in the past & they are pretty great keyboards, but looking at their site, I'm 99% sure the backlit one does not do multiple computers. All of the ones I've bought from them in the past that did this, had the feature prominently noted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.