Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
I'm looking at a backpack mainly for my MB, but potentially also for my SLR camera and a few lenses. I've got a shoulder bag that I'm outgrowing, and have thought about small backpack, and I just got a MB, and have thought about a small backpack. I really want it to be cheap, like $50. As far as camera gear goes, I shoot with a pretty small SLR, a film Vivitar, primarily with a 135mm lense, but I usually carry a 50mm and 28mm macro, and might start carrying around a flash. Depending on how life treats me, I'll either get a longer lense (200 or 400?) or possibly another SLR, and in the future I'll replace it with a DSLR.

Can anyone reccomend something to me?

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I just bought the Tamrac Adventure 9 and its wonderful albeit a bit on the heavy side when loaded.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I have a Crumpler 6 million dollar home for just my camera; but I hate lugging two bags around (I take my laptop to work in a Crumpler messenger bag). I haven't yet found a bag I really like that is designed for my laptop plus camera equipment.

What I've been doing lately, however, is using cheapo camera/lens wraps to carry my camera and an extra lens in my messenger bag. It works quite well!

You wouldn't want to be throwing the bag around, since the wrap is the only protection for the camera equipment; but for typical roughness it's certainly adequate. This has been a good solution for me.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
i think it's worth having two bags dude,
one for your MB and one for your camera,
and make sure they both protect each very very well.
it's not worth getting one that fits both but only protects one properly, is it?
as far as the MB side is concerned, i've had this one for a year now
and it rocks!
http://www.axio-usa.com/html/p1.html
pretty hard stuff, good protection and also very comfortable
bit on the expensive side maybe, but it's worth every cent!

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
@ Westside Guy - have you seen the new Crumpler Daily yet? I'm not sure if they're out in the US yet (no idea why) but it's a messenger bag with a padded slot for your laptop and a removable insert for SLR gear. The insert folds closed into a protective case for your SLR gear when not using it. Here's a link for details, but it's a UK vendor, and they only have the red and oatmeal colours in. Check out the UK or AU Crumpler site for the other, cooler colours. I'm about 90% set on getting one of these over the next couple of weeks - just need to get over that price tag...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
@ Westside Guy - have you seen the new Crumpler Daily yet? I'm not sure if they're out in the US yet (no idea why) but it's a messenger bag with a padded slot for your laptop and a removable insert for SLR gear. The insert folds closed into a protective case for your SLR gear when not using it. Here's a link for details, but it's a UK vendor, and they only have the red and oatmeal colours in. Check out the UK or AU Crumpler site for the other, cooler colours. I'm about 90% set on getting one of these over the next couple of weeks - just need to get over that price tag...

I hadn't seen that, thanks! But you might want to look at one in person before you order it, to make sure the insert AND the computer will fit in there at the same time since the description is ambiguous.

They have been selling photo "bucket" inserts for a number of their bags, including my Dreadful Embarrassment - but when I wrote to ask them if the bucket would fit in there with a computer, they tried it out and replied "no, it looks like it'll be too tight a fit".

I did very much appreciate their willingness to try it, and their honesty though. They seem like a great company with first-rate gear.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Agreed - I'm in the daft position of needing a bag that'll fit my 14" iBook, but will also take my works Dell 15.4" for business trips. Need to make sure it's ok with both. Like the OP I was looking for a backpack, and had seen the Crumpler ones, but prefer the messenger bag style so you can grab your camera quick without having to take a pack off. Then they brought these out... Could be the perfect solution for me, and I have a few other Crumplers so I know they're top quality.

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
Like the OP I was looking for a backpack, and had seen the Crumpler ones, but prefer the messenger bag style so you can grab your camera quick without having to take a pack off.

Be sure to check out the LowePro Stealth Reporter 600/650. It's a shoulder/messenger style bag that holds both camera gear and a notebook and you can access to the camera while wearing. The pictures on the Lowepro site appear to be the smaller versions. When I checked these out in person (the 600 which now appears to be discontinued) they appeared to be large, heavy, messenger bags. When loaded, they are _really_ heavy, heavy enough that you might wish you had the two shoulder straps of a backpack :)

Found a review: http://www.vividlight.com/articles/1614.htm

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Thanks - good review. The Lowepro looks good, but a lot deeper than the Crumpler. I'm only planning on carrying a couple of lenses, one body and maybe a flash, so I don't need too much space. It's the laptop (that damned Dell) increasing the size. I agree it would be heavy, but the need for this type of thing came up due to the UK not letting you fly out with more than one piece of carry-on: I have to take my work laptop on business, but need protection for my camera too. As long as it's under 6kg and fits within the minimum size, I shouldn't need to carry it too far.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Actually, I've been filming a movie with a local group, and one gear bag we have is a Lowepro Stealth reporter. Good bag! I'll look more heavily into buying one of thsoe perhaps, it seems perfect for college! I won't always have my camera with me, but I want the ability to carry it if I do want to have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.